Black coroplast smudge

Sometimes opaque white plastic bags form a black smokelike smudge.

What is this? Can this develop on coroplast.com's plastic sheets?

I am trying desperately to determine that this is not mold.

It makes no logical sence that this is mold or that mold could form on this corner of the coroplast and not in other parts of it.

- = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist

---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Reply to
vjp2.at

snipped-for-privacy@at.BioStrategist.dot.dot.com wrote in news:hoeuc2$2e3$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com:

What is the reasoning that leads you to decide that mold is not "logical"?

Corrugated plastic is usually polypropylene or polyethylene. Neither naturally has antibiotic characteristics; in the presence of moisture, it is entirely possible for mold to grow on them.

Make a 5% bleach/water mixture and apply it to the corrugated plastic. If the black goes away, then it was mold.

Reply to
Tegger

Plastic films are prone to developing a static charge. This will allow them to attract and hold everything from mold spores to soot / smog.

I recommend you find out what it is, rather than forcing it to be something you fear. Swab it and look at it under a microscope. Any regularity to the "grains", any appearance of biology?

It might simply have been exposed to the environment in a different way. Life rarely "makes sense". Look and see. My penny's worth of free advice.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

If the sheets are stored in sunlight, they may turn black from photodegradation, depending on the plastic and the way it was polymerized.

DB

Reply to
Bill Penrose