Black ants - How to get rid of them

Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the wood eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are looking for food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or so each day. They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but we find them here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement along the outside wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found any hills in our lawn. Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I do?
Try and determine where they are entering the house and *treat* that area with mixture of borax and powdered sugar.
i use terro ant poison on ants.most home stores sell it. they eat it and die. dont spray anymore, just feed'em terro.a mix of boric acid (found at walmart pharmacy area) and sugar mix kills ants to. i mix one part boric acid to 9 parts pancake syrup. but any syrup will do.some guys mis dry sugar with it.. ive seen guys sprinkle boric acid around and the ants/termites walk on it, lick it off and die.. lucas
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

I have read that they avoid dry boric. For grease ants, you can mix a drop or two of salad oil with the boric/syrup stuff. Works very well for me.

Mix small amounts of boric acid with fruit preserves (strawberry), place it in a bottle cap and then strategically place them in and behind cabinets.
Oren

Trust me
Buy this stuff at walmart
http://www.terro.com /
I had a problem about 4 years ago. Used Terro and I've never had the problem since.
Terro has packages of 6 indoor traps -- put them all around inside the house and basement. This year I've seen Terro kits for outdoors at 3 per package -- always before I would put the indoor traps outdoors but this year I'm trying the new outdoor packages. So far working quite well. I've placed about 9 of em all around my foundation outdoors.

I am in Florida, the ant capitol of the world. You need a two pronged approach.
Bait like Terro works if they are eating that kind of food. There are sugar ants and grease ants (protein). You need the appropriate bait. Basically a bait is ~12 parts food and one part boric acid. One caution us you might end up simply teacing the ants not to eat that kind of food. Large ant colonies can havew separate food streams and when one proves fatal they abandon that stream. My ants got so specific that they would only eat dog food that the dog had saliva on it.
The second approach is to track the ants back to the queen, who probably lives outside, near the house.

In addition to the other advice you've gotten, empty your kitchen cabinets and clean. Pay special attention to containers of stuff with powerful smells, like molasses, maple syrup, peanut butter, etc. Sometimes, those container have a drip or two down the side, and that's enough to attract ants from halfway across town. Replace shelf paper that probably also smells like food.
46erjoe wrote:

All the other posters have suggested bait/poison or poison alone.
A better suggestion, in my experience, is to eliminate their food sources! Clean up, keep things clean, wipe up the sink after use and keep it dry. Wipe down the couter, keep the floors clean. Keep all food in sealed containers. Wash the dog bowl or cat food bowl. Do not leave out pet food (in bowl or bags). If the ants do not have something to eat/drink they will go elsewhere.
So - clean up and they will go away. After you clean you can spray some raid for ants around your baseboards and such to speed up the process.
snipped-for-privacy@spamless.net says... :) Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the wood :) eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are looking for :) food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or so each day. :) They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but we find them :) here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement along the outside :) wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found any hills in our lawn. :) Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I do? :) I am guessing you are dealing with Odorous House Ants...smash one and it should give off a perfumed odor. If so they will not have an ant bed like most ants, but are little nomads moving from spot to spot usually near moisture. The colony may be a few dozen or many thousands and the ants you see foraging inside will be only a fraction of the nest population so baiting for them can take a while to control the ant nest, but can give you short termed success on the ones invading the home. They do seem to accept terro rather readily and that is easy for you to find. Look around the foundation of the home, more than likely you will come across them trailing and many times they will have their larvae/pupas with them and can be attacked with any general insecticide. Also look for nests under leaf matter or rocks & wood against or near the home, once again when the nest is located zap them out. Unless you are in New York, a pro could treat the foundation with a product called Termidor and would put a stop to them and any other species of ant that will invade the home probably for the rest of the year, probably costing $50-$75.
The Terro product suggestion often works very well. The bait is placed on small squares of cardboard here ants have been seen. In less than a day, you will see hundreds of ants at the bait and taking it back to the colony. In 2-3 days you won't see any. Do not spray. Put the bait where pets/children can't access it. I found this product to work better than ant traps.

I use Fantastic soap spray, since I don't want to use poisons in the kitchen.

Agree
46erjoe wrote:

Had lots of rain? One reason they look for new homes, although they tend to invade in spring - probably expanding existing nests. I would vacuum and clean the kitchen well, especially spilled sweets and greasy residue. Pet food bowls are good feeding place. I have never had ants persist after good cleaning and putting down a boric acid bait. No super poison needed. Don't try to kill what is in the yard - they belong there, along with flies, bees, termites, spiders, etc.
Norminn wrote:

dursband

When we had our house treated with Termidor the ants left . Once in a while I will see some in the cracks of the driveway but they are soon gone. Its been 5 years and still no more ants.
I got a couple bottles of liquid ant bait from www.gardensalive.com and put it out. No ants since then. http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn 95 is the link.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.