black ants

how do I get rid of black ants in the house,occasionally I find a black ant around the kitchen sink,this just started this year,never had that before.I probably killed about 10 ants in the last couple of weeks,suggestion would be appreciated,Thanks

They're probably grease ants or the like. Best solution is to clean up the kitchen and figure out where they're coming in from. Once they no longer have an interest in your house, they'll go back to the wild where they came from. Might be attracted to the stove, drain on the sink, or spilled food on the counter.
tony pac wrote:

It can depend on the species of ant they actually are, but Terro is general all around house ant aid...in the Dallas area I am finding Odorous House Ants, a small dark ant, at almost every home I go to, they are crazy this year. When "mushed" they have a definite odor to them. These ants do not live in the dirt like other ants but are nomads constantly on the move. They will be found in moist areas such as mulch, cluttered gutters, under leaf matter beneath the hedges, etc. Keeping the area clean of such moist hot spots will help future invasions.
Lar

Spray the foundation perimeter inside and out with Ortho Home Defense. I've had good luck with it and we have a ton of ants here in our wooded lot. You could also invest in an Anteater or Aardvark.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007

is it hard to potty train them?

Potty train the ants? LOL
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 23:33:59 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

Nah. I can't help you with this one.:-) Although I really have eaten ants in the past. Delicious, very citrussy.
--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
On Tue, 01 May 2007 22:10:00 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Lemon chicken? That's citrussy :-)
--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
log onto www.gardensalive.com and buy liquid ant bait. Use as directed.
I did, about eight or nine years ago, and havn't seen an ant since then.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

I've found that taking a minute or two to clean up prevents ant invasions. I usually get a scout or two, but if they find any food, I get whole mess of them. My toddler use to leave a bunch of crumbs and some how the ants zeroed into them, so I had to vacuum each night.
tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

For the invasions, I used *Fantastic* spray soap, specially in the kitchen etc where I don't want to use poisons.

I'm guessing this removes the ants and what attracted them.
tom @ www.Japanese-Beetles.com

Yes, the cleanup helps, but strong soap like this kills all the ants almost on contact, too.