Black Ant Problem

Page 2 of 3

Ask Barack to come and speak with them. They're black, and should listen.
Steve

Ants stopped eating Amdro here years ago. Orthene still kicks ass but you have to broadcast it. Otherwise you just move them.
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Borax and boric acid are two totally different things. You want boric acid. The proportions of water/sugar/boric acid aren't particularly important. I prefer using 50/50 flour and boric acid with enough water to make a paste. After drying, either crush it to small pellets and put them where the ants are and go or just leave it as a cake and put those cakes in a few strategic places.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Thanks! Interesting twist to what I've been reading on the 'net. BTW, what's the diference between Borax and boric acid? I thought they were the same thing.
--
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:12:41 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

The commercial baits like Terro are more like 12 parts food to one part Boric Acid. The thought is you don't want to kill them too fast or you will just get a few before they stop eating it. There are a lot of ants that actually maintain several different food supplies in each colony. When one group dies they abandon that food steam avoid that food. I haven't seen a sugar eating ant around here in years. Terro got all of them. Even the white foot ant, that is supposed to be sugar eating, eats proteins here. That is the nasty little bastard that throws queens all the time. We also have a fire ant that will take orphan ants from other colonies. The lack of a hard freeze makes ants a 12 month problem in Florida
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Not even close.
Borax... Na2B4O710H2O or Na2[B4O5(OH)4]8H2O
Boric acid... B(OH)3
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Put them between two boards and crush them.
Mark wrote:

Don't forget vinegar :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

suggests this recipe:
1     tsp     boric acid (powder); 10     tsp     sugar; 2    cups    water.
It works for me.
Good luck
I got liquid ant bait from www.gardensalive.com and it worked to kill off my indoor carpenter ants.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

A problem with large ants in Arizona? Close enough to New Mexico...damned atomic testing. Buddy, unless you can get James Whitmore, James Arness, and Fess Parker to help you out, you're screwed.
Interesting non-funny suggestions from the group - will have to mark this thread as a reference the next time I have to battle the Little Black Ants...
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 01:31:17 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

Tero works for me. They now have a product that comes in easy-to-use trays, no mixing. It works within a week and they are gone!
On Mon 25 Aug 2008 06:31:17p, Wayne Boatwright told us...

Following up to my own post, I just want to thank all of you for your thoughtful and informative responses. You've offered many options, and I have saved the entire thread to "study" and choose a course of action.
Thanks again!
--
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:19:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

Look here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Ants
On Wed 27 Aug 2008 01:40:39p, Phisherman told us...

Thanks!
--
Wayne Boatwright

Study long enough, and they will eat your entire house for lunch. Don't just stand there, do something!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Green? In Arizona? In the desert?
And what's this business about war against "black" ants?
Remember, you once had a governor who said: "... sometimes a Black man is the best man for the cotton-pickin' job!"
He was run out of office. Use caution.
On Thu 28 Aug 2008 07:26:55a, HeyBub told us...

Best laugh I've had in a good while!
--
Wayne Boatwright

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

The recipe is 1 part of Borax and 19 parts icing sugar, then Add enough water to make a thick slurry and deposit it anywhere you see the ants. Don't overdo it with the Borax - a high concentration will kill the worker ant before it can get to the queen.
Links: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/ANTKEY/pavebait.html http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/menu.house.html http://www.greensmiths.com/ants.htm
On Thu 28 Aug 2008 11:14:55a, a told us...

Thanks!
--
Wayne Boatwright