Birds pecking at roof shingles

I just paid to have a porch roof shingled, due to damage primarily caused by dozens of pecking birds eager for grit I suppose. This roof, on the sunny side of the house, seems to attract birds (and even the occasional squirrel). Now that I've gotten a new roof, any suggestions on how to keep birds OFF the thing?? My roofer had no suggestion other than to contact the state DOT to find out what stuff they use to repel birds from roosting places under bridges, and then offer to buy some repellent from them. There MUST be a simpler way! I'd much appreciate any help on this!
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 20, 3:09 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Pdk Pdk) wrote:

What bird or squirrel eats roofs, a strip of copper or zinc at the Top keeps off mold and im sure animals, what did you have an organic corn base roof?? Its strange.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:21:22 -0800 (PST), ransley

In my years; I've never seen enough grit, eaten by any bird (s) that might required new shingles. In fact, never saw a bird eat the grit from a shingle.
OP can set out a feeder for the birds and add grit(S) :)
Oren --
Add pictures here
✖
Oren wrote:
SNIPS

And a cat or two.

Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 16:04:05 -0800, jJim McLaughlin

My cats are old; now the dog (sight hound) picks up the slack.
I wish he would leave the dove alone...
Oren --
Add pictures here
✖
Pdk Pdk wrote:

What kind of birds?
We go to a restaurant that has outdoor dining. To keep the birds out, they run nylon fishing line in a grid pattern across the open side of the deck. Rigging some fish line, if feasible, would probably keep them off.
Add pictures here
✖

Good idea, but get the heavy stuff, like 50-60 lb test. More visible, less likely to degrade. He doesn't want to be repeating the chore too often.
Add pictures here
✖
Pdk Pdk wrote:

Do you have a lot of bugs on your roof? I doubt it's the grit they're after.
✖
Pdk Pdk wrote:

20 ga. or .410 shotgun.
Add pictures here
✖

Get a FiShock. Wrap spiral bare wires around a 2' piece of 3/4" PVC. Once they land on it, they will NEVER ever return to your rooftop.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖
Best response I've had thus far on how to prevent birds from pecking away and destroying shingles on roof came from a builder who told me to kill one bird, and throw it onto the roof. "Just let it rot there," he said, "and the other birds will never come back." Not sure how the neighbors will feel about a rotting bird displayed on a porch roof.
Add pictures here
✖