Birds nexting UNDER metal firebox in fireplace

I have one of those metal fireplaces (builder installed), and it has an outside air vent. The screen over the vent rusted away, and some pigions set up housekeeping in there last summer. They're gone now, so I'm fixing the screen, but I'm afraid that they may have put combustible nesting materials in there under the metal box (where I could hear them cheeping and having a grand old time last summer). I can't see in there, or get to it... How do I take a peek in there to see what's there? Don't want to burn the house down, so haven't started a fire since this happened. My wife wants me too build one now... Is there a gadget that will let me look in this 2-3" hole and around corners, etc? If I find something, I'll put the shop vac in the hole before screening over and suck it out. I could just do that anyway, but I'll never know if I got everything without a finishing look-see.
Ain't home ownership a wonderful thing?
Steve Henderson

set
materials
down,
hole
I'll
There are expensive ways to do what you describe but on the assumption that you want cheap, how about a dentist-type mirror. If you don't have one of those a small mirror (think wife's compact) and a stick and some duct tape will do it. A small light bulb on a stiff wire can provide light but with a bit of finagling one can usually manage to reflect the beam of a flashlight off the mirror and still view the scene at the same time.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Steve Henderson wrote:

you can buy a mini security camera(only the camera with cable) at harbor freight, www.harborfreigh.com for $29.00 and attach it to a tv or VCR or even an old commodore computer monitor like i did... it works great and even in low light conditions..... reg. $39 but always on sale for $29.00

set
the
materials
having a

do I

down,
build
hole
I'll
Sounds great, Jim... I looked it up (at www.harborfreight.com ). I'm gonna buy one. Even if I didn't have this project, it sounds like a userful little camera to have for lots of stuff.
Thanks, Steve
If you've got a good yard blower try that from the inside :-) I use mine on the dryer vent occasionally.

set
materials
down,
hole