birds like my A/C; nesting; is 3flrs up, dangerous for ladder at all often

Our bedroom A/C -- damn birds like it.
Turning it on does nothing to them -- they remain.
ASIDE: When I lived in an appartment, with balcony, a pigeon pair took to it. Then they built a nest, complete with eggs.
I knew full well that once those chicks grew up and wanted to have their own nests, that they'd come right back *there*. There'd be NO getting rid of them, then.
SO, I got my trusty tennis racket, went out there, and killed the two doves, and tossed the eggs.
PROBLEM SOLVED.
(Yes, friend inside watching me was a bit, uh, shocked! :-) )
END ASIDE:
Now that I'm living in a house, with a/c facing the back-yard (huge slope down away from house) and on the 3rd floor, it is pretty dangerous, at least for me (don't like heights, edges of cliffs, etc), to put up a ladder (a LONG ladder) and climb up and do what's needed.
MY QUESTION:
How to get rid of THESE birds, and for the future, how to keep them from coming back?
Well, how about spreading some lye on everything? Or spraying poison all over the inside, enough to drift out the back and settle there too. THAT would work just fine! RIGHT?
Only problem is that there'd be no one left inside to appreciate the lack of birds. :-(
Ideas?
David
On Apr 2, 10:11�am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

you are a idiot killing defensless birds.
I hope a tv station finds out about you and runs a story on what you did!
Would you be proud?/
On 2 Apr 2009 10:11:54 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

Put one of those plastic owls on it. Or, put some duct tape sticky side up--most birds dislike a sticky floor. Or, put a speaker there with poping noises. Bird netting (at HD) might be worth a try.
David Combs wrote:

One of the outdoor restaurants we frequent uses nylon line to keep the gulls and other birds away. They have the line strung so that it forms about 4" web. Haven't seen a bird in there since it was put in place.
There is another bird here - dark brown/black with gray, about the size of a robin, that used to steal artificial sweetener packets from the tables at another restaurant...they would grab one, take it over to a puddle to soften the package and lap it up. Gulls are relentless, can steal food from your hand. The wading birds line up for snacks before one can get bait on a fishing line - they just show up whenever we fish from our dock and wait around for the catch.

Do it once, do it right. Rent scaffolding and go up there and put screens and pointy bird deterrers in every place they can reach. Remove every bit of nesting materials and spray the area down with bleach. Rinse with clear water and scrub with brush. Put screens anywhere they can access under the eaves.
You will not keep them away. But if you do block off the space where they can nest, that will eliminate most of it. If you have a species of bird that nests on the outside surfaces, a pellet gun works fine for those. It also works well for pigeons who just sit there and dump.
Steve
Thanks for all the good ideas!
I guess I'll have to wait a few weeks, when it will be time for someone to go up there to clean the gutters. Maybe I can pay a bit extra for them to add some of that "stay away" and "no holes no more for you to get in" stuff you suggested.
Thanks!
David
snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote in

Yea, hotwire the frame. Be sure to test with your hand while on ladder. Make sure it's an aluminum ladder and preferably do it during a thunderstorm. Grounding the ladder to a nearby flagpole will be a good thing.