Bird Problem

Page 1 of 2
There is this one small bright yellow bird that is banging on my kitchen window incessantly. This has been going on for 2 weeks now. I've gone outside and drove him off, sprayed the hose at him, washed down the window but he still comes back. If i drive him away he's back in a minute or 2. Any ideas as to why this bird is acting so weird? And how i can get him to just go away? Thanks Eric
on 6/7/2008 4:29 PM Eric said the following:

He's seeing his reflection in the glass and trying to drive off a competitor. Animals can have mental problems too. :-).
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

Interesting idea, do you think if i windexed the glass nice and clean he might not see himself?
willshak wrote:

A window screen would probably solve the problem. If there isn't a framed screen, just tack up some screening to cover the frame until the bird moves on. Or stick up a small bird feeder with some thistle seed in it.

lol. Birds eat fermented berries and fly into windows. Maybe the bird is drunk? Or, even suicidal!
Oren wrote:

In US, wrong time of year for that...

1) Might be a domestic canary that is lost. Anything in the classified Lost & Found? 2) Could be a hungry goldfinch. Get a niger seed feeding sock from WalMart and hang it away from the window. When his belly is full , no more bother. 3) Ask at the Petco store or equivalent about lost critters, other advice. 4) Sometimes a reflection in the window will trigger a reaction in some birds. A temporary curtain of some sort will work in that case. Just ignore the tiresome clods that suggest cats, shotguns, pellet guns and poison.
Joe
I would suggest cats, shotguns, pellet guns and poison.
Sorry I couldn't resist......
Actually the previously posted idea to hang something else over the window for a couple of days is probably the best idea.
Steve B.
This could be love. I like the idea to cover the window & give them a mirror.

Tape white paper on the glass for a few weeks--he won't see his reflection as well and may look elsewhere.

What's he doing? Maybe he's that "alien" some guy claimed was looking in the window at him.
Eric wrote:

Hi Eric... More than likely he thinks that this is male competition (at this time of year) Can you hang something in or on the window so he cant see his reflection? At least till breeding season is over or until the sun moves enough in the sky so he cant see the reflection. He is just trying to protect his territory.
Deb

Where are you??
He may be acting territorial and trying to frighten off an intruder from his patch. Tried making the window less reflective perhaps which will reduce the visibility??
Welshdog
--

News and views... for people like youse!!

Australian Opinion
Welsh Dog wrote:

The bird sees it's own reflection and thinks it's an intruder. Bird will continue to do this the whole nesting season. If you can buy the old fashioned Glass Wax that dries on the window and leaves a dull coat of wax, that will eliminate the reflection. Or get a thin plastic drop cloth and tape it over the outside of the window.
Sanity wrote:

or put a picture of a owl or cat on the window.

The bird wants to mate with you.

Have you tried taking the glass out of the window? Just a thought.

Hi Eric,
This is based on some limited experience with budgies when I was growing up, I really don't know that much about birds, but if your interior is darker than the exterior the bird may be infatuated with its reflection. Perhaps try putting something up behind the window, or even in front of it, that will block the reflection from the bird.
Best guess, hope it helps, Murielle

Bird is seeing his own reflection and thinking it's another bird, attacks it. Most likely this bird has a nest nearby and is protecting it's young. Get some old fashion glass wax, apply it to the window and let it haze. That'll eliminate the reflection till the birds goes away.

I think you are on to something with the reflection thing, and I know OP didn't say where they are, but unless they are in they southern hemisphere I don't think there are too many places right now where a bird would have a nest with young.