Bird Nesting

Problem: bird nests in gutters.
History: house was built in 1993 and gutter on front gable extends 8-10 inches under the eave to butt up against siding.
Birds have a "natural" shelter from wind/rain/etc under within this recessed area. I've tried a couple of things to discourage them by removing the nesting material soon after it's brought in but they keep rebuilding.
are there any "bird repellent" type things I can do to keep them from rebuilding? This is a constant problem and I'm afraid the buildup could result in water/ice damage if left alone.
says... :) Problem: bird nests in gutters. :) :) History: house was built in 1993 and gutter on front gable extends 8-10 :) inches under the eave to butt up against siding. :) :) Birds have a "natural" shelter from wind/rain/etc under within this :) recessed area. I've tried a couple of things to discourage them by :) removing the nesting material soon after it's brought in but they keep :) rebuilding. :) :) are there any "bird repellent" type things I can do to keep them from :) rebuilding? This is a constant problem and I'm afraid the buildup could :) result in water/ice damage if left alone. :) You can find repellents that fit in caulk guns at home depot/ hardware type stores. Bird away and Hot Foot are a couple of brands, but they are all about the same. Only use a small bead for when it gets hot in the Summer, it can get runny and drip on the house or foliage.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
How about putting up some hardware cloth, or wire mesh, before they start to fall in love with that location? Just tack it up for nesting season. Tom

Why not put up some bird houses in nearby trees or on telephone poles. I'm sure they would prefer them to the gutters.
Just be sure to get the ones with properly sized holes -- too big and you'll have house sparrows take over instead of the native birds.
Acquirer wrote:

It's spring. Birds need a home for baby birds. You can help by being a good landlord.
Failing that, get a owl decoy at a sporting goods store.
I like a combo of ideas already offered: Put out a proper birdhouse and then cover the area of gutter with screen.
I think you also could something in the gutter to fill the space that the birds use. A jar or bottle for instance.
"Lar" wrote

Hey Lar,
Thanks for this information, if the OP doesn't give this a try, I know I will sometime this summer.

We have large covered back porch that my wife has several hanging fern baskets which the Robins were bound and determined to build nests in. I purchased an owl decoy and set it on the banister around the porch and haven't seen a Robin with in 50 ft of the porch since. I Move the decoy a few times a day to different spots around the porch so the birds don't get accustomed to seeing it in the same spot. RM~
PS, I got my idea from an advertising firm in town that has a lot of bill boards, they place Owl decoys on their bill boards where they have a big pigeon problem.