Big box store pricing.

Page 2 of 2

My point is that people blindly shop at the big stores and assume they have the lowest prices and best selection. Far from the truth. They may be lower on exterior doors, but when I replaced my slider, instead of buying Pella at Home Depot, I bought Pella from the dealer across the street. He carried the full line and had models that HD does not even order.
Same with appliances. HD sells the same brand I bought from the guy around the corner. To answer your availability question, I could either drag it home or wait a week for delivery. For about the same price, the local guy delivered and set up the new one and hauled away the old one. I've never been able to figure out why a sane person would want to take home their own refrigerator and drag it into the house to save maybe $10.
In spite of the size of the big box stores, they carry a limited selection of brands of some items. There is much more to chose from in this world.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Variety mostly. For a single item like your pump, you go to the "real" plumbing or HVAC supplier. For a big project you quote out to the various plumbing, electrical, building matl., etc. suppliers. But for a small project like perhaps a bathroom semi-remodel, the convenience and savings in gas and time you get by finding everything in one location may exceed the higher price.
Pete C.
Pete C. wrote:

In my experience that doesn't happen, however. At least my local Home Despot is always out of at least one necessary item forcing me to wait until a weekday and go to the "real" store anyway.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

I haven't found that problem for smaller projects, and the Depot and Lowe's here are 1/4 mile apart. For larger projects I find that there is always 30% of what I need that can't be found at Depot, Lowe's or any of the local "real" supply houses that I always end up having to special order and / or truck 75 miles to get myself.
Pete C.
Pete C. wrote:

Maybe the difference is that I don't have a Lowe's to give HD any real competition. The nearest Lowe's is 20-some miles away, and I will go there rather than to HD if I do have a small project where I think I may have a fighting chance of getting everything I need at a "big box."
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Coming in late on this, there seem to be 2 to 4 times as many HDs as there are Lowes in Baltimore, but until last summer, the closest to me had a pair only a half mile from each other on the same street.
Yet I sometimes have to go 5 more miles to an ACE hardware. I posted here about the time I needed a square U-bolt, and iirc neither HD nor L had any, but the ACE had 7 sizes.
But it's not cheaper, afaict. Easily 20% more on a few things I know the price of. OTOH, they sell window screening by the foot or a 4 inch piece (and I trusted them not to charge too much so I don't know how much they charged, but HD and Lowes would have charge much more for a minimum of I guess 6 or 8 feet. I would go to the ACE a lot more if it were closer. OTOH, the last remaining small hardware store on this street doesn't have very much at all, and they make a living repairing lawnmowers and renting construction equipment.