Bidet installation

Page 2 of 2
I opted for one of the washlet seats for three reasons:
1. Saved space.
2. More features than a standard bidet.
3. It was easier to add an electric outlet than to plumb supply lines and a discharge line.
Interestingly, bidet installation is said to be dropping in Europe and they are rarely found in new construction.
dean wrote:

I'd be very surprised. That would be like saying fewer people in the US are building homes with more than one bathroom. Do you have a cite?

Yes, wonderful investment. Don't know how I got along without it.

Is that supposed to be "between a toilet and a shower stall"? I hope you're not thinking of putting the bidet in a separate room.

Just like a sink. There's really not much waste. No more than you have from washing your hands.
I plumbed mine into a branch that includes the sink and the shower but I suppose you could go directly into the main stack.

Don't forget you have to add on a faucet and drain set. For labor you'd have to ask someone in your area.
http://www.porcher-us.com/pdfs/porcher/install/Install_1524.pdf
dean wrote:

dean ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) said...

Models vary, but many that I have seen, including the one we installed in our master bath, drain out the bottom. This means that a P-trap will have to be installed beneath the floor, and the vent attachment has to be there.
I have seen some that are high enough that a P-trap can fit under it but above the floor, then the drain can go into the wall similar to the way a sink would (except, the drain is MUCH closer to the floor!).

I have seen the bowls go for that much, but then there is the faucet!
We managed to find a decent bowl from a shop that deals with used fixtures that were pulled from a demoliion. It was $75 and didn't require much cleaning, but the old faucet on it was crap. Besides, we wanted a faucet to match the rest of the bathroom (Moen Monticello series).
Our local BORG told me the price for one of those faucets (special order) would be C$465 plus C$35 for the handles (plus our wonderful 15% in sales taxes). I managed to find one and the handles on Ebay that ended up costing me about C$250 including shipping and taxes (collected by the post office when things come into the country).
So, you are doing pretty good if you can get the bowl and the faucet for about $400, but it is not unheard of to spend $800.
Installation? Well, that can vary greatly. The rule of thumb I always use (besides doing it myself, if I can) is $2 labour for every $1 in materials. On a specific job, that may vary greatly. For instance, it may be fairly easy, or extremely difficult to bring in either the DWV or the supply lines to where you need them.
As for the usefulness of a bidet - I wouldn't want to live in a house without one. I think it is safe to say a bidet is more useful for women, but - and I'll try not to be too graphic -- all the advertising for toilet paper aside, when you get a case of the trots, the softest brand that you can find in the world starts to feel like 80-grit sand paper by the third visit to the throne. ;-)
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"