Bidet installation

Perhaps you can tell me how Bidets are used. With the water controls on the back, it would seem difficult to turn them while sitting facing away from the wall. Somewhere, it was suggested you were to face the wall, but this would seem to require removing shoes, pants, etc...

Also, is the water spray sufficient to remove any "deposits" I've had skidmarks in my toilet that remained for days, underwater. I just don't see how a minute or two of spray are supposed to remove this waterproof stuff. Is one supposed to use soap and a hand as well? =20

(Sometimes, I think I'd need a bidet with a rotating brush with detergent dispenser, in addition to the water :-)

It varies...

Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

Reply to
Doug Warner

On a true bidet (as opposed to the seat substitutes) you don't sit on it, any more than you would stand on a sink. You hover over it (usually facing the controls, although I guess there is no rule against facing away from the controls, and wash your crotch with a washrag, hands, soap, whatever cleans your hull. Its something like a sink, mounted low enough that you can wash and rinse your crotch, or your feet, if you want.

I think the seat substitutes, such as the washlet, do not provide enough water power to obviate the need for toilet paper, unless you want to sit there for a half hour or so. I suspect the posters who allege a reduction in paper usage have never used one, or have never checked the final results of their work.

Years ago there was something called a sitz bath that was prescribed for people with hemorrhoids, or for women who had just given birth; I think the seat substitutes are about the equivalent of that, although they have added heat, pulsation and vibration of the water stream, a deodorizer (think fart-filter) and even a heated seat. Mine even has a special slow-closing seat; they don't say what that is for, but I'm thinking it is for reduced noise, or ease of mind for parents who have young boys.

Reply to
Not

I use one (seat bidet). It does not eliminate the need for paper, but it does significantly reduce it. A more indirect benefit: fewer toilet overflows (clogs caused by too much paper).

Considering deodorizers, one time last year when I was in a nursing home (just visiting, hopefully it'll never be anything else), the place smelled like a mixture of deodorizers and dirty diapers. I think they got some bad food that day.

Considering seats and boys, one thing I remember reading is "Why can't women look before sitting?" (having to do with that "put the seat down" nonsense).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

That is a pretty good description. If you need to use it with your pants around your ankles, then you would face away from the controls. Otherwise you would face the controls.

Bidets vary, but ours has a faucet like a sink and a diverter valve. At one end, the diverter sends the water through little holes around the rim of the bowl, similar to a toilet. At the other end, it goes through a spout that is in the bottom of the bowl that points up. The valve allows you to mix how much water goes to each.

I also forgot about using it for washing feet - another benefit on occasion. Of course, our cat will come into the bathroom when you are there and expect you to turn on her "drinking fountain"! ;-)

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam