Bidet installation

Page 1 of 2
Anyone here installed or had installed a bidet? We have room upstairs between a toilet and a shower room. I have no idea how the waste gets expelled, does it go into the toilet's 4" pipe?
Any guess as to how much $$ it would be to get one installed? The bidets themselves seem quite reasonable ($200-400) considering their relative rarity.
Thanks for any insight,
Dean
i would first look at the bidet seats for your existing toilet since there are more available features on them, at: http://www.terrylove.com/wc/washlet.htm
If anyone is still following this thread, can you explain to me how having a wet tush is going to save on toilet paper?
C & E wrote:

Who said it was supposed to?
Bidets are popular in areas where daily showering is not the norm so I suppose water is conserved. I have never heard that it is suppsed to reduce the use of paper.

More water and less of something else.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
C & E wrote:

I'm talking about the Toto Bidet Seat here, which uses a jet of warm water about 1/8" in diameter. Not a French bidet which is more like a fountain or a stream of water like a garden hose. After it's done there's nothing to wipe except a small amount of water. The comment about toilet paper usage was based on experience in a house where we had a lot of conferences and workshops. Probably ~40 people a month. Also if you have hemorrhoids.... My friends husband has them and he uses the bathtub...you get the idea. Eeeewww. Whenever I'm over there that image sticks in my mind. Richard
C & E ( snipped-for-privacy@innernet.net) said...

For the most part, it isn't intended to, but there are a few exceptions:
If you have a case of the runs, the most plush toilet paper will start to feel like 80-grit sandpaper by the third trip to the throne, so washing with a bidet and patting dry with a towel is a better alternative that will save a bit of TP.
Another situation that comes to mind relates to a young visitor who clogged the toilet each time he went. It seems he was taught that after doing a poo he should wipe until there is no trace on the toilet paper. Sounds like a good plan, but occasionally diet has a way of creating a consistency that would still create track marks after half a roll of toilet paper. The child should have been taught about the wonders of using a wet piece of toilet paper in such situations, but of course a bidet would also reduce the need for so much toilet paper, not to mention the plunger to unclog he toilet.
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"
snipped-for-privacy@remove.daxack.ca.invalid (Calvin Henry-Cotnam) wrote:

on the back, it would seem difficult to turn them while sitting facing away from the wall. Somewhere, it was suggested you were to face the wall, but this would seem to require removing shoes, pants, etc...
Also, is the water spray sufficient to remove any "deposits" I've had skidmarks in my toilet that remained for days, underwater. I just don't see how a minute or two of spray are supposed to remove this waterproof stuff. Is one supposed to use soap and a hand as well?
(Sometimes, I think I'd need a bidet with a rotating brush with detergent dispenser, in addition to the water :-)
It varies... http://www.burningannie.com/features/shitlist.html -- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
Doug Warner wrote:

On a true bidet (as opposed to the seat substitutes) you don't sit on it, any more than you would stand on a sink. You hover over it (usually facing the controls, although I guess there is no rule against facing away from the controls, and wash your crotch with a washrag, hands, soap, whatever cleans your hull. Its something like a sink, mounted low enough that you can wash and rinse your crotch, or your feet, if you want.
I think the seat substitutes, such as the washlet, do not provide enough water power to obviate the need for toilet paper, unless you want to sit there for a half hour or so. I suspect the posters who allege a reduction in paper usage have never used one, or have never checked the final results of their work.
Years ago there was something called a sitz bath that was prescribed for people with hemorrhoids, or for women who had just given birth; I think the seat substitutes are about the equivalent of that, although they have added heat, pulsation and vibration of the water stream, a deodorizer (think fart-filter) and even a heated seat. Mine even has a special slow-closing seat; they don't say what that is for, but I'm thinking it is for reduced noise, or ease of mind for parents who have young boys.

I use one (seat bidet). It does not eliminate the need for paper, but it does significantly reduce it. A more indirect benefit: fewer toilet overflows (clogs caused by too much paper).

Considering deodorizers, one time last year when I was in a nursing home (just visiting, hopefully it'll never be anything else), the place smelled like a mixture of deodorizers and dirty diapers. I think they got some bad food that day.

Considering seats and boys, one thing I remember reading is "Why can't women look before sitting?" (having to do with that "put the seat down" nonsense).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Not@home ( snipped-for-privacy@home.net) said...

That is a pretty good description. If you need to use it with your pants around your ankles, then you would face away from the controls. Otherwise you would face the controls.
Bidets vary, but ours has a faucet like a sink and a diverter valve. At one end, the diverter sends the water through little holes around the rim of the bowl, similar to a toilet. At the other end, it goes through a spout that is in the bottom of the bowl that points up. The valve allows you to mix how much water goes to each.
I also forgot about using it for washing feet - another benefit on occasion. Of course, our cat will come into the bathroom when you are there and expect you to turn on her "drinking fountain"! ;-)
--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"

I'm seeing a greater comfort and cleanliness issue moreso than paper savings. It was just a Q, thinking that I was missing something obvious. I found most of the add-on seats to be quite expensive until I found the Biffy http://www.biffy.com/order.asp . About $100. Of course, you don't get air dry or even warmed water but what the heck. I've done my business in the snowy woods enough to think that it can't be that bad. Still pondering.

Despite the price (and whatever it'll cost to have an electrician come in and put an outlet behind the thing) I'm seriously considering this one:
http://www.brondell.com/Swash-600-400.php4
I think there's a video on the site too.
I can definitely see saving TP, and being so much more hygienic with something like the Swash. Weird name, but looks like a good product. (It had better be for that price.)
Maxi
Email addy upon request.
maxinemovies wrote:

checked it out was about 10 years ago and bidet seats were almost unknown. The Brondell was developed by a group in the US. This is from the Summation Site: "This is the first product of the Silicon Valley 100 which I will be blogging about in the future. I got the Brondell for free and there is no way I initially would have paid the hundreds of dollars for it. But after using for a month, I now need to have it and would gladly pay for it." I wondered when this "technology" would make it to the States. Richard

Dean:
They are only rare here in the US. We've lived all over the world and almost everywhere else has them, almost as a matter of course, right next to the commode in the main bath.
I'm sorry I don't know how to plumb one but I'm sure you will get help from many non US folks here on USENET.
The add on seats don't seem to be any kind of an economic deal for just air. According to my wife, 'the water is where it's at'. She has already told me that when we get our next house she wants one, so I too will watch the answers closely as I will be doing one in the next couple of months myself!
Jay

That's where our bidet is. House was built in'78 and it matches all the other fixtures in the bath.
I know it sounds like a personal problem, but the one in our bath gets used as a magazine rack.....
;-]

They all have models that use heated water. A side benefit of the Toto is that it also deodorizes dunno about the others. If you have a lot of guests that will become an function that you'll wonder how you lived without. An additional benefit is that your toilet paper use will drop dramatically. When I was in Japan my relatives had one that had a humongous remote (the Totos have a remote too but it's small) there was an entire bank of buttons that were just for women. I mean like 20 buttons: different patterns, oscillations, drying air. I'm not sure if it has arrived here yet. I installed the Toto myself, very simple, replaced the previous seat and only needed an GFCI outlet. If you install one make sure you don't "lose" your wife in there. ;<). Richard
dean wrote:

Without seeing your house and whether it's slab on grade, or accessible basement directly below, etc, etc, etc, I'm guessing the install will be at least 10X the cost of the Bidet.
i put in an american standard cadet ,rim flush with a spray a few years ago. i reccomend to get the spray and rim flush. it installs basically like a sink . bidets have same size drain and water supply lines. lucas.
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 10:26:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Thought I was clicking on a link about bidets.
Did you write this? Record it? It made me cry. Do you remember the old song Teen Angel? That one, too. (My husband says I cry at McDonald's commercials but I don't. It takes something special to make me cry and this was one of those things.)
Maxi
Email addy upon request.