bid for texturing ceiling

If you were gonna bid on and 8-1/2 foot ceiling project where it's just been firetaped, and they want it finished, textured and painted, and it's 1800 square foot, what would you say?

How many man hours of work would you say it is? Assume the man to be skilled, healthy, working off a scaffold, with light.

Thanks for your comment.

Reply to
Cal Dershowitz

Cal Dershowitz wrote in news:yridndp7a61mTUrSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

I'd say that translates to about 42', or 14 yards, on a side...

You need a scaffold and light for an 8-1/2' ceiling?

Reply to
Tegger

Sides don't matter on a ceiling.

Yeah, and I'm 6' 7".

--

Reply to
Cal Dershowitz

I'd say, just paint it. I hate textured ceilings. Only thing worse is that popcorn crap that we scraped off in our house.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Are you f'n *CRAZY*?!"

Reply to
krw

Great first step to a home theater room. Heavy texture, better acoustics.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Cal Dershowitz wrote in news:Pbadnbir2IIAc0rSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

42 x 42 = 1764 sq ft.

I was trying to get an idea of the size of the area to be covered.

Then you don't need a scaffold, you need a hard-hat, so you don't bonk your head on the doorways.

Reply to
Tegger

I agree that textured ceilings are usually best avoided. Harder to paint and if you ever need to repair it, good luck. On job after job, Holmes on TV winds up having to scrape off a whole ceiling because they made a

2 ft hole in it and can't match it back up.

I'd also have to say that anyone that has to come here to ask how to bid on a job like this, shouldn't be doing the work to begin with.

Reply to
trader4

I see. That's a good way to get a feel for it.

It's great to be tall for high work, but if you think about it, you might understand why a lid compounds my trouble. I lot of doorways are roughed in at 6' 8", and a hard hat is just what I need to really jack myself up against it. What's worse is that with the lid on, you can't see above as well, so you don't anticipate it.

I wear a helmet riding a bike, tho. I'm not too cool to be safe in every environment.

I was thinking with this much area, I'd want to spray on the mud. I have a hopper for that. Maybe I should work up a couple samples to show the client. (Good idea, Cal)

Also have a long, 22" drywall blade on a long handle that could do the knockdown from the ground easily. I can touch the 8-1/2 ceiling from the ground with the edges of my normal knives, but then I'm at my full extension, so I like to get to where my head is just below the ceiling.

Reply to
Cal Dershowitz

Right! At 8000 feet, 88 miles distant.

Reply to
Cal Dershowitz

sound scattering would be important in this environment.

Reply to
Cal Dershowitz

Asbestos is not a problem as there will be no dust to speak of. Even if there was some, it is miniscule.

With a hand sprayer, dampen the ceiling a bit with water that has a small amount of dish detergent so it acts as a surfactant. . Let it soak a few minutes, then scrape with a wide blade knife. Wipe the remaining residue with a sponge.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Doesn't matter - texturing drywall, unless you fully understand how much more difficult it makes future DIY repairs, is a bad idea.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

And in most cases once you fully understand the issues and compare it to the benefits, it's still a bad idea..... :) Among the places I would not use it are below a bathroom or similar where a leak is possible, in a rental property, or where kids are involved.

Reply to
trader4

Add to that an older house where you may want to do wiring as part of a room redecoration.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel