Bible

Group, I need spiritual guidance.
Can anyone recommend me a good book to cover all types of household maintenance/improvment (electrics, plumbing, flooring, walls, etc)? I have plenty of experience in my native soil (England), but over here (Minnesota) many things are done differently.
I had a couple of great books back home that I used when I first bought a house. So what's the best book in the US for the DIY newbie!?
TIA
Mat
Mat,
Obviously, you have found it, although it is not a book per se!
Ed

Yeah, but I need something to carry with me wherever I am working, and take to stare at in the bathroom when it gets really tough.
YES !
Go to Home Depot and get their Home Improvement 1-2-3 Orange book, (466 pages) it cost about $20 and is loaded with 2000 pictures, tips, shortcuts and traps to avoid. It was the best $20 ever spent on my home and has saved me thousands of dollars and enabled me to do alot of my own repairs. It covers almost everything a homeowner will need, from planning and designing, paint/wallpaper, plumbing,electrical,ceilings walls and floors, doors and windows, cabinets and countertops, shelving and storage, insulating and weatherproofing, and exterior maintenance. I can't recommend it enough. I've managed to tile 2/3rds of my house and rehab both bathrooms and convert a garage to a spare bedroom. Yup, a great book!! G

Agreed -- this is a great book. I also recently bought their "outdoor projects" book which helped me put up a storage shed. It's nice to have step-by-step detailed instructions for projects.
-Tim

Agreed -- this is a great book. I also recently bought their "outdoor projects" book which helped me put up a storage shed. It's nice to have step-by-step detailed instructions for projects.
-Tim

Agreed -- this is a great book. I also recently bought their "outdoor projects" book which helped me put up a storage shed. It's nice to have step-by-step detailed instructions for projects.
-Tim
Home Depot have some excellent DIY books. Readers Digest used to (and still may) have similar books. I have amassed a fairly large collection over the years at garage sales and flea markets. One reference book that might be handy to someone new in North America is THE ENCYCLOPAEDIA OF HARDWARE by Tom Philbin (1978.) And, of course, this newsgroup is a great resource. Good luck ds
The best books for the money I have seen are at Home Depot and Lowes and they have the store's names on them.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
"Modern Carpentry"