Bibb washer source?

OK, this shouldn't be this hard... :(

Need stem/bonnet beveled washer for several hose bibbs--can't find proper size locally even at the plumbing distributor nor after looking through all the assortments at all the hardware stores--and, no, I'm not even close to a borg... :)

Anybody have source to find beveled washers of following two sizes--

5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/16" T 5/16" ID, 13/16" OD, 3/8" T

Could probably make do w/ 1/4" ID and 3/4" OD.

Need half-dozen or so of each...

Reply to
dpb

not here either:

100 PIECE BEVELED BIBB WASHER ASSORTMENT 100-Piece Beveled Bibb Washer Assortment THDS Part #: 509710 $6.72

dpb wrote:

Reply to
buffalobill

I have never run into a washer I couldn't find at the local Coast to Coast, Ace Hardware, or other mom and pop hardware. They usually have a far better selection than Home Depot or Lowes.

If you don't have any luck locally, you could do some searching online, IF you're willing to wait for them to be delivered.

By the time you pay shipping and wait 2-3 weeks, it might be faster and easier to just replace the hose bibs with new ones?

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Yep, that's about all I've found as well. The 3/4" OD all have had

3/8" ID or larger as well... :(

Doesn't seem to be anywhere I can f> not here either:

dpb

Well, there's only one Ace in town and their selection didn't have what was needed...and the Ace online site wasn't much (as in any) help. :(

There's only one of the "independent" stores left in town and they're now buying stock from the same suppliers as everybody else so except for the stuff that's been in the store for 40 years or more, they're really no different an longer. Unfortunately, in a small-market town, the Superstore reduces everything to lowest common denominator pretty effectively. Until then, I have no doubt Miller or Chaffin Hardware would have had them or been able to get them. I was surprised B&J Plumbing couldn't find them out of all their boxes of stuff, though. I suppose that means these particular hose bibbs are so old the design has been modified enough to no longer have many left.

If your Ace has them, I'll reimburse you cost plus shipping and a finders' fee for 10 each size... :)

I've been looking online as well--no luck, at least so far. As noted in another response, finding anybody that provides full dimensional data has been difficult, at best...

If I only had one or two it wouldn't be such an issue--there are at least a half-dozen of each variety overall which adds up. Not to mention it is completely against my bent to throw away a perfectly good piece of goods over a 10-cent (figuratively) repair. Time isn't much of an issue--they've leaked in use for years and it doesn't really hurt too much except it's annoying. The particular reason just now is I took some old ones and used them to add some new lines in the garden patch. When they leak, it tends to make a muddy spot which is a (relatively minor) problem.

I bought some new packing, I'll see if I can manage to stem the flow that way (so to speak :) )...

Reply to
dpb

Have you tried the McMaster-Carr web site?

Jim McLaughlin

You could try these sites online:

On Amazon.com in the category: Tools & Hardware ? Home Improvement ? Plumbing ? Faucets ? Parts & Attachments > Faucet & Valve Washers

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

There's a couple of these I hadn't located--thanks. The doityourself location was one H had found earlier. Their selection _seems_ as near as I can tell to include only faucet washers w/ small diameter ID's for holding screw as opposed to the stem packing washer.

I'll look at the others more closely and see if I can find anything. I'm tempted to just order a couple of styles and see if I can manage to enlarge the ID to fit but it is really difficult in general to make a clean enough cut in rubber that one would be able to get a good seal...

Anyway, thanks again for the effort...

Reply to
dpb

If you're talking about the washer that fits around the stem of the faucet, I have seen a "string" type of stem packing at the plumbing and hardware stores. From what I can tell, you wind it around the stem, insert the stem, and tighten down the cap nut. I've never used it so I have no idea how well it works, but it might be an option...

See the "Washers" section on the Ace Hardware page for more info (all one line, watch the wrapping):

There's an example on this page:

Also, keep in mind the new washer probably won't look anything like the old one. The old one has been compressed and distorted with time. If you can find something close to the right size, it should compress and expand to seal when you tighten the cap nut.

I think you said this was for a garden hose bibb, but if it's a faucet that uses a "cartridge", you could just replace the entire cartridge. More expensive, but a lot less work.

I'd still look into replacing the hose bibbs if you can't find the repair parts. They're fairly inexpensive and not that much work to replace (unless your piping is really old and rusted).

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Yes, packing is an "option"...I noted in the original post I had purchased a new coil. I have used it and it works reasonably well (but far better in places which were designed for it than as a replacement for a washer where the opening wasn't designed for packing).

That is also something I noted originally that there's some slop in the dimensions. However, a 5/16" stem won't go through a 3/16" screw opening and a 5/8" OD won't fill a 3/4" stem nut... :)

Yes, if it were something that it isn't, something different might be a solution... :(

Again, if there were only one or two, that would be less of an expense...we went over this at least once before as well...without a precise count there are something on the order of a dozen of these. At $5/ea, that adds up as compared to something otoo probably $0.50/ea.

Plus, unless one wants to spend significantly more, it appears all replacements are now Chinese stuff that I suspect would be far more likely to freeze-split during cold KS winters. Many of the existing ones have survived for probably going on 50 years--I don't have that much faith in new stuff.

Plus, the bottom line is--there seems no reason to replace the whole bibb for a leaky stem seal and I can't believe that a 3/4" OD, 5/16" ID bevel washer is completely unobtainable.

At present I have a couple of folks looking -- if that fails I'll talk to a professional plumber friend here and see what his source of supply would be...he's as old or older than I am and about as cheap! :)

If all else fails, I can go the packing route--it just takes some time futzing w/ them whereas otherwise one simply drops a washer in and goes on one's way....

Thanks anyway for the input...

Reply to
dpb