bi-fold door

I want to put in a bi-fold door from the kitchen to the laundry/utility/pantry space. I saw some in a Big Box ad the other day, which noted there were three standard sizes to choose from, I don't remember exactly, but let's say 30 ", 32" and 36". So I measure the the opening, which matches the height given in the ad (80" I think), but the width of the opening is 35 5/8". There is a track at the top of the space, I assume from an old door, and a bit of hardware in one bottom corner of the doorway. The floor is a miscellany of adhesive tile over cement slab.

Can I buy the 36" door and cut it 3/8" off one edge? Which machine would do this correctly? Would they do this for me at the Big Box, or would I be pestering the neighbor, who seems to have Tools? Hire a handyman, which the mister is not? Is it likely the existing track would fit a new door? How would I cut the track to fit, if this were necessary? How exactly is a bi-fold door attached, anyway? And I would want to latch this door shut to repel kids and dog, but put in a cat flap to allow the cat access this space.

One of those things that seems easy enough, until you actually get it home, which is what I'm trying to avoid...

Thanks,

Karen

Reply to
dkhedmo

I went through the same deal lately. We ended up having a 44 1/2" opening and wanted bifold doors, but couldn't find anything on the shelf for this size...so we asked the folks at home depot to order in two 22" six-panel primed interior doors (around $50 a piece). Then we went ahead and just did double-doors. The width of normal door hinges was perfect to bridge the gap. We used a piece of hardware called a "bearing clasp" to hold them closed (mounts to the top, easy installation)

They turned out beautiful and give us amazing access to everything in the closet...not too mention that they give the house a real "upscale" kinda feel...but that's just opinion.

If you must cut to fit a off-the-shelf door, the outside frame isn't as thick as it looks... We cut about 3/8" off two 30" doors (for a 59 7/8" opening) and there wasn't a tremendous amount left to screw into. We ran the doors across a table saw set to 3/8"... that's the best way to remove 80" of material that's 3/8"'s wide.

H> I want to put in a bi-fold door from the kitchen to the

Reply to
kellyj00