Beware the BBB when searching for contractors and vendors

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/business-bureau-best-ratings-money-buy/story?id 123843
<The Better Business Bureau . . . is being accused by business owners of running a "pay for play" scheme . . . A plus ratings are awarded to those who pay membership fees, and F ratings used to punish those who don't . . . a group of Los Angeles business owners paid $425 to the Better Business Bureau and were able to obtain an A minus grade for a non-existent company called Hamas, named after the Middle Eastern terror group. . . "this rating system is really unworthy of consumer trust or confidence," said Connecticut attorney general Richard Blumenthal in an interview . . . on 20/20. >
(Redacted and . . . edited for "fair use" (-: )
-- Bobby G.
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 04:16:00 -0400, "Robert Green"

The BBB is not a consumer agency, it is business owned and business friendly. They pay for their rating.
"Follow the money"
Oren wrote:

Not for long with the dollars rapid demise...

No, it will just center around a lot more dollars. Thanks Obama.

Not really. The bbb is an organization that figured out it could scam businesses into paying them. Don't pay get a bad rating. And many businesses pay because they realize most people don't realize bbb is useless and may refer to it for a rating.
On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 4:36:55 AM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:

I agree. They are a useless, impotent group. Many years ago I had a problem with one of their members. Even knew the head of the local BBB. No help what so ever.
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 04:16:00 -0400, "Robert Green"

If you have ever attempted to use the BBB to deal with a crooked business you quickly find out just how worthless the BBB is.

Arizona has a similar contractors recovery fund. I had a contractor working for my neighbor damage my fence. He wouldn't even return phones calls once he found out I wanted him to fix the damage he did. I filed a complaint with the Registrar of contractors and he called me immediately and was mad at me for filing it!!! But it got his attention and he fixed my fence pronto.
I have a small business, some years ago the BBB tried to extort the membership fee from me:( If you dont pay you will et a bad rating.......
I called and spoke to the president of the pittsburgh BBB.
He claimed it was the fault of the company they had solciting for them.
But no it appears its how they do business..........
i was so mad at what they tried i promised the president i would never join, he offered me a 1/2 price membership i said no thanks.......
it was funny i called and said i had a complaint, against who they asked? the BBB