Beware of Driveway Sealers Ripoffs

Page 3 of 3
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 03:39:56 GMT, 'nuther Bob

Why doesn't the world use EVERY product that's made?! Duh!!! lol
I guess I don't understand yer reasoning.

Minor maintenance needed? :)

Why? Because it was originally done incorrectly?...and they waited a few years to correct it? lol

Sure they do. And those companies that don't buy it...well, they just simply decided not to BUY it! lol

That's probably true. So what?
Have a nice week...
Trent
Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Interesting when we sold our last house in NJ, it had the same driveway that had been put in when it was built 17 years earlier, essentially in the same condition it was in when new (it was not as dark and black) but after 16 years of snow and ice it suffered no physical damage and had never been touched with a drop of "sealer".

Well, I can't compare MN vs NJ climates. But I can compare driveway life between neighbors-- especially when all the driveways were likely original and done by the developer by the same asphalt crew. So if one lasts longer than another, there must be a variable. I suggested it was the sealcoating, but perhaps it's something else.
And FWIW I only had the thing coated once in the 6 years I was there -- seemed to be plenty.
-Tim
Ron Hardin writes:

The potential to crack increases with time. Asphalt is a blend of hydrocarbons of various high molecular weights (essentially all the stuff left from crude oil once the more valuable light fractions are removed). Over a long time the lighter portions evaporate and leave a brittle, higher-molecular-weight mass behind, and eventually the brittleness will crack under just about load or weathering.
By the way, "asphalt" means the tar from crude oil. The precise term for the material used to pave is "asphaltic concrete", consisting of asphalt as a binder with gravel aggregate.
Randy wrote:

I just grin and wave to them (while hosing down my concrete driveway) as they drive by.