beware of cabinet company

All, beware of a cabinet company called Gourmet Kitchens Design based out of Sacramento, CA and has an office in Danville, ca. The owner Rick is a crook, who writes bad checks. He is untrustworthy and does not do anything he says he is contracted for. His customer service is the worst and when you confornt him he lies. His wife Cathy is suspect as well, only because she probably doesn't know what he does. This company shafted me on kitchen cabinets worth 100,000 just becuase of his design mistakes and his inability to fix them. almost two years later I now have to turn him into the DA's office for writing bad checks. Stay away

Reply to
brispoli

Gee, ya must have a really really really big kitchen .

Reply to
marks542004

You might want to consider whether you want to defend yourself against a slander / libel / defamation lawsuit before your next pass at spamming various newsgroups.

Reply to
Pete C.

Reply to
bigjim

That's a big if, and he should refrain from spamming until he has a legal judgment to back it up.

Reply to
Pete C.

The only way he could prove that would be to produce the docket number where he was found correct. Anything else is conjecture.

Reply to
George

How can the poster guarantee, however "does not do anything he says he is contracted for."

Those are silly statements of fact that take only a single completed contract to disprove.

You're usually safe if you stick to posting factual information you can prove about your own personal experience, but generalizing is a good way to get yourself in trouble.

AT any rate the cabinet maker dude sounds like a real ass to be avoided based on what the guy has posted.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I remember the lemon decorated cars parked across the street from auto dealerships. There were court granted injunctions, in some cases. Now we have Usenet and don't have to do that. This libel/slander stuff is probably not applicable in cases such as these as the contractor would have to demonstrate damage. I would not worry about statements such as the one below.

"You might want to consider whether you want to defend yourself against a slander / libel / defamation lawsuit before your next pass at spamming various newsgroups."

Reply to
Charles Schuler

True, but it can cost him thousands in legal fees to prove it is facts.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

my checks would have been valid had the one you wrote me cleared.

He is untrustworthy and does not do | > anything he says he is contracted for. His customer service is the | > worst and when you confornt him he lies. His wife Cathy is suspect as | > well, only because she probably doesn't know what he does.

actually Kathy does know what I am doing. you are just another customer that refuses to pay for the extras that were not in the original contract.

This | > company shafted me on kitchen cabinets worth 100,000 just becuase of | > his design mistakes and his inability to fix them. almost two years | > later I now have to turn him into the DA's office for writing bad | > checks. Stay away

design mistakes? what mistakes? you never mentioned that to me in person. instead you complain where no-one knows you or me. keep it up and you will have your hands full of legal matters.

| | Gee, ya must have a really really really big kitchen .

actually it wasn't that big of a kitchen just quality cabinets for agreat price. I could have sold them for $125,000 I do need to put 3 kids in college soon. |

Reply to
Rick

Reply to
bigjim

What about the legal fees when the other guy drags him through the courts?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The best free advice I ever got from an attorney: "You don't know the answer until the judge tells you"

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I don't want to take sides here because I don't know either party involved, but I would never make a decision based on a post like that.

I once hired a contractor to do some exterior house repair and painting for me. He

- hired a teenager who had never used a power washer to wash the house. The teenager promptly sprayed water into my attic vents before he ran out of gas and stood around for 30 minutes not knowing what to do.

- used nongalvanized nails to put up exterior siding, which naturally started rusting through the paint within a week.

- used only one coat of paint on some sections of the house, allowing the initial gary color of the siding to show through.

- got a bathroom remodel job in the middle of my job and left mine without saying anything to go do that one.

- ignored so many calls to come back and complete the job that I was about to go file suit against him when he finally came back and did a rush-job finish.

Those are all specific, factual claims that give an accurate depiction of the contractor. The original post here was full of exaggeration and speculation. It was not so much a warning against a contractor as it is an angry consumer's venting -- but there are a lot of unreasonable consumers out there who vent against good, professional contractors simply because the contractor won't jump through their hoops. The somewhat irrational nature of the original post makes me suspect that the fault here does not lie entirely with the contractor -- and maybe not at all with the contractor.

Reply to
BZ

As long as its true and legal, its should be covered by the homeowner's policy. Contractor sues he will spend thousands out of his pocket while homeowner pays insurance deductible to defend and could counter sue and go after his license. Plus the courts favor the consumer, in particular in California. Stay out of the courts if its possible as anything could happen. Sometimes it doesn't come down as who is right as much as who got the better lawyer or got lucky getting the right judge. Try to get a judge who got screwed in a kitchen project would be a good bet.

Reply to
# Fred #

Reminds me of a case..... A client hires an architect.

Client claims is unhappy with the architect, refuses to pay for drawings, fires architect when design is about 60% complete.

Client hires a contractor to build the house based on the incomplete, unfinished, and unsealed drawings from the architect, that the client has still not paid for, without knowledge of the architect.

Contractor cannot complete the house based on those plans.

Client sues architect for incompetence and malpractice, based on the fact that the contractor couldn't finish the house.

Go figure. It cost the architect a bundle to avoid paying for the house, although the client and the contractor violated several laws and the county permitting department issued a building permit on the basis of unsealed drawings, another violation of state law.

I put little stock in customer rants....

Reply to
CptDondo

Architect recovers losses by suing for copyright infringement...

Reply to
Goedjn

Another architect without malpractice insurance?

although the client and the contractor violated several laws and

Didn't the architect put a lien on the house for non payment? I think if the homeowner fake the wet stamp on the plans to get it through the permit department, that's a felony in my state. Anyway looks like the homeowner could be in a lot of trouble if the architect wants to pursue it.

Reply to
# Fred #

this is a bullshit story if I ever heard one most town halls will give you "their" stamp on the plans (don't need architects stamp) heck, I could get a building permit if I wrote a plan on a napkin and town hall approves it ,and they will, as long as you are not building with engineered lumber.

if the client fired the architect before the plans were finished the architect is not responsible for any damages. but should have placed a lien on the property. and as for the contractor who took the job and didn't complete the project based on the incomplete plans. He is still liable to complete the job if under contract. most contracts state that the project will be completed as per plan. it sounds like the client was out to screw everyone involved from day 1. the client must have been a lawyer.

Reply to
Rick

Good for you. In my town you won't for a major project, like a house.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski