Better than PB Blaster

Page 1 of 2

This is pretty wild. 50/50% mix of ATF and Acetone is twice as effective as the 2nd best, Kroil, and 4 times as effective as PB Blaster!
"The April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better. Mighty interesting results for simple acetone and tranny fluid!
Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce None ................. 516 pounds . WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25 PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35 Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21 Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75 ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10
The ATF-Acetone mix was a 50/50 mix (1 to 1 ratio)."
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 6, 7:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Interesting closeness for pb and wd. The only problem with atf/ acetone is you have to be careful what you get it on.
Add pictures here
✖

I don't believe it for a minute -- starting with the fact that acetone won't dissolve in ATF.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 6, 10:11 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I knew it would only be a matter of time before the "all hail pb blaster" crowd came out, haha.
I think any thinned oil/petroleum product is going to be about as effective as another. The key is getting it completely into the problem area.
Add pictures here
✖

PB Blaster *is* pretty good stuff. I remember using CRC 5-56 when I was younger, but I haven't seen that around for a long time. Either one is waaaay better than WD-40. I never found Liquid Wrench to be much good, though. Never used Kroil.

I disagree. WD-40 is IMHO markedly inferior to PBB or CRC as a penetrating oil.
Add pictures here
✖
Doug Miller wrote:

And that's the reason why--it isn't nearly as good as a penetrant because it wasn't designed/intended to be. The others altho I don't have data at hand, all seem to me to have much lower surface tension and probably viscosity which is what helps in getting where it can do some good.
Although I've not ever seen _any_ product (and used all in the list above plus many others) that actually shows any indication of having reached the interior portions of a rusted fastener; they do help by lubricating that area that is rusted above the nut or if one can "loosen by first tightening" that area gets some help which often is the most resistant portion of all. Then again, I've not had the luxury of waiting for days in general; when a farm implement breaks or needs repair, it needs it _now_ almost always.
✖
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 14:11:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

mix with just about any other hydrocarbon liquid - as well as with water. I
Add pictures here
✖

Wrong. Acetone is an aliphatic organic solvent.

Try it.
I did, in fact, just this spring. My son and I were rebuilding the transmission on his car, and needed a solvent that would clean transmission fluid off of various parts. Acetone *does not* mix with Dexron-III. Naphtha does. But not acetone.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 21:40:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Bullshit.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 00:44:21 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

used to use Dexron 2, Kero, varsol, and Acetone in equal amounts and that mix DID work. It's known as Ed's Red. Perhaps the kero and varsol aid in the mixing, or perhaps the old Dexron mixed better - I don't know. But the 4 way mixture sure mixed well, and stayed mixed.
Darn good penetrant too, and the ATF left enough oil behind to resist re-rusting
Add pictures here
✖

I have been using Ed's Red for about 15 years when I got the mix from him off the old Fido net, Way back before the Al Gore 'invented' the internet. It works very well for many things. The acetone seems to stay mixed in it. Might have to do with all the other items in the mix.
Add pictures here
✖

Like I said.

Ya think?
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 21:40:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Might not work if it has water in the acetone?
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 6, 3:10 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Back to Chem 101 dude. You have two words wrong in your statement: aromatic and hydrocarbon. By strict definition, hydrocarbons contain only carbon and hydrogen which acetone does not. Aromatic refers to compounds with ring structures like benzene, toluene and the like. Acetone can correctly be considered a polar compound, hydrocarbons are considered the opposite, non polar. With it's penchant for water miscibility acetone is a very poor choice for mixing with any strictly hydrocarbon fluid like PSF, ATF or hydraulic fluid. And that's a fact.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
On 8/6/2010 6:27 AM, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

The best thing I've ever used is SUPCO88.
http://www.supco.com/Chemicals%20pg7.htm
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 6, 7:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I have heard the same from an auto-related forum that I follow. I'm surprised at the large disparity between PB Blaster and LW/Kroil. I always considered PB to be a decent penetrating oil but have never had good luck with WD-40.
I've also used a torch and candle wax in the past with success, and also Wuerth Rost Off. I would have been interested to see how those tested against other penetrating oils, esp. the Wuerth product as in my experience with it it is excellent.
nate
Add pictures here
✖

I find anything works well if you can leave it on for a few days. I try to anticipate the need and soak it down ahead of time.
Add pictures here
✖

If only we always had that luxury :/
I've also found a good set of drill bits, a grinder or flat file, a center punch, and a tap and die set to be the appropriate "penetrating oil" at times :(
I hope that everyone that has bought a car from me appreciates my penchant for using anti-seize on everything :)
nate
Add pictures here
✖

I don't bother on the cars but on the boat and motorcycle I do.
Add pictures here
✖