Better than Moen?

Around 5 years ago I had my kitchen remodeled. I had a Moen single lever faucet with a pull-out spigot/sprayer installed. Within a couple of years the chrome on the plate that mounts on the sink started to flake off. Now it's leaking when I turn it on. The water comes up through the swiveling part and runs all over the sink and also drips in the compartment below.
Rather than getting it repaired, I'd like another, better brand. Any suggestions? Thanks.
--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comtosspam (Joe Bobst) wrote:

Joe, Thanks a lot. I'll check out Delta and Kohler.
--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Well, like Moen's slogan says, you buy it for life. From what you have explained, your faucet is under replacement warranty. Go to:
http://www.moen.com/Consumer/products/warranty.cfm
for the details.
Mike
Moen mailed me two cartriges when I emailed that one had developed a leak after 20 years of iron-laden water, I guess on the theory that the hot water faucet was likely to go soon too. They expect them to leak eventually and simply replace them for you if you're still around, and ask.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

Thanks to all for your help. As I said, the Meon has flaked off chrome and looks ugly. I don't want it repaired.
--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

I'm not sure about Moen, but PriceF covers any and all parts. That includes finish issues or internal issues. You might want to all Moen first and see if they'll send you new one for free.
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 08:54:01 -0500, Charlie Dilks wrote:

Good luck! We now live in a world where things are designed to outlive their warranties by just a short time. After all, if I make a faucet that will last 50 years, you won't need to buy another one of my faucets for another 50 years. If I design them to last 5, I should have 10 times the sales. Seems to me that most North American business have bought into that concept.
Carolyn
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 12:38:27 -0500, "Carolyn Marenger"

I know what you mean. After only four years of marriage I had to replace my wife. She just wore out !!!
This concept is not new.
Back in the 1950s a series of books appeard by Vance Packard, including one called _The Waste Makers_ (another I recall was _The Status Seekers_), dealing with "planned obsolescence": deliberately designing things so they don't last long. One example I recall from the book was of a company making potato peelers: how could they increase their sales? After all, potato peelers usually don't wear out. So why do people buy new potato peelers anyway? Typically because they threw the old one out with the peelings. So the marketing gurus said, "If we could make a potato peeler that looks like potato peelings, a lot more would get thrown out and we would sell a lot more to replace them." Somebody objected, not unreasonably, "But who is going to buy a potato peeler that looks like potato peelings?" So they designed a potato peeler of such a color that it was difficult to distinguish from the peelings, but they used brightly colored packaging to make it look attractive in the store.
-=- Alan
On 11/02/03 12:38 pm Carolyn Marenger put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

I have a Grohe that I love. They're a bit pricy, however.
Charlie Dilks wrote:

Not Moen... Had trouble with them horiring the warranty. My Warrantly said free from drips and leaks. When the rubber membrane in the spigot started to leak they said thats not covered. They told me to read my warranty. I did again and it said drips and leaks. After 3 people I reached someone with half a brain that agreed that water coming out of anywhere was a leak and sent me the new spigot. Its seems they only intened to guarantee the cartridge. If you check their newer warranties it says leaks from the cartridge.
On the other hand Price Fister was great. When the pop up tarnished they sent me another. When the faucet tarnised they sent me a whole new faucet. Note: the price fister never even leaked anywhere

I like PF because they replace anything... but you will be replacing something with their units. Their finishes don't seem too good.