Better start hoarding those 60-watt incandescents...

What exactly would you have done? Go through another budget crisis and govt shutdown? How well did that work out for the Republicans last time? And right now, the GOP doesn't even have control of the Senate yet. The smart move on immigration is let it play out in the courts first, where it will likely be ruled unconstitutional. There is a good chance that the SC is going to effectively kill Obamacare, they have the case and will decide it in just 6 months. That's the smart play, not starting wars that you can't win and that will end in another humiliation.

And if you think it's a grand idea to try to block an entire govt budget over issues that you lost years ago, see how you'll like it when the libs start doing it too. If anything and everything you don't like is now grounds for refusing to pass a budget that funds the govt, then you'll have chaos. And you also have the simple fact that last time the GOP tried it, they failed, capitulated and polls all showed the GOP got the overwhelming part of the blame. Yet, you want to go there again?

Reply to
trader_4

No worries, just pay $40 a bulb for a closet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I just saw some basic 60W LEDS at HD that were $5, more choices now under $10. They are rapidly coming down in price. They even have LED retrofits for 6" recessed ceiling lights for $15 now.

Reply to
trader_4

And, it's all W Bush's fault, some how?

Hey, maybe with any luck, we can double daylight saving time, and have an extra two hours of daylight every 24 hours.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Todd, I bought a Cree bulb for $5. It is OK, but the glow of the bulb does not seem to be even, but the lumens seem about right for the 60w equivalent rating.

I bought some Osram daylight bulbs for $10. I happen to like the daylight color balance as it is much whiter. So far, I like them a lot, but they are only about 6 month old so I cannot really talk about longevity yet. So far, I'm happy with them and have about a dozen around the house.

The 60W (850 lumen) seems to be the sweet spot right now. They are $10 and the 75W equivalent is $20. I also have a couple of floods that I paid $25 for.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
4-packs are on sale now at HD for either $1.39 or $1.59. I don't remember exactly, but they're cheap. I've got plenty of 75s and 100s to last for a long time. And I have 40s for hall lights. I never did use 60s. But if anyone wants 60s, this is the time to stock up.

Many people mistakenly think incandescent are illegal to use, because the electric company stuck them with flourescent bulbs after doing an energy audit. I get customers who ask if there's a better solution for their kitchen recessed lights on dimmers that keep burning out. I explain that fluorescent are designed for uses where they're neither dimmed nor turned on and off frequently and that they'd be better off going back to incandescent. Then they say, "Oh, I thought those were illegal". It's amazing how much mis-information can persist in a society with an allegedly free press. :)

Reply to
Mayayana

| I just bought a couple of 40 and 60 watt LEDs. | | I would not be surprised if _each_ of those bulbs lasts my lifetime. | | Beautiful light quality and no more bulb changing. | What's not to like? |

Besides the price? I guess we'll just have to wait and see. And of course it depends on how old you are. :)

Reply to
Mayayana

Energy audit? If some people think it's illegal to use incandescents, it's likely because they are confusing the fact that it's illegal to manufacture them, import them, with using them. And I haven't seen any of those folks myself.

I get customers who ask if there's a better

I would take that to mean that they know it's illegal to manufacture the most common incandescents and you generally can't buy the most common ones anymore. And who knows which ones will be illegal next.

There may be some confusion. But most people know the govt has been banning and extending the ban on the most popular incandescent lights. I don't see anyone here worried about using ones they already have.

Reply to
trader_4

They are down to $5, which certainly seems affordable.

Reply to
trader_4

Somewhere, I remember seeing an odd-wattage bulb like that. It was meant for use in traffic lights.

BTW, most of those (traffic lights) seem to use LED arrays now. I suppose because they last longer.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Very hot, and give off unnatural yellowish light. You can get WHITE CFL and LED lights.

Reply to
sam E
[snip]

That's funny. The idea that government can control the amount if daylight we have.

Reply to
sam E

Believe me, if it were physically possible, they would have done so years ago. And many do believe it's possible.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Not funny at all. I have over 500 hours of daylight in my savings account. I'm going to use it when I retire and can enjoy the extra time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not in my house. When the federal thugs first started talking about banning light bulbs I stocked up. We have pretty much a lifetime supply in the basement of 40, 60, 75, and 100 watt bulbs as well as 50/100/150 three-ways. (We also do not use low-flow toilets or shower heads.)

Reply to
Roger Blake

An unintended side effect of this is snow will accumulate on the traffic light lenses and block them from view. A friend of mine had an accident due to this when someone ran a (snow-blocked) red light.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Someone came up with a small heater, so that helps keep the snow off. Like the old filament bulbs, but costs more.

First they came for the 100 watt light bulbs. I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 100 watt light bulbs.

Then, they came for the 75 watt light bulbs. I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 75 watt light bulbs.

Then, they came for the 60 watt light bulbs. I didn't speak up; as I didn't use 60 watt light bulbs.

Then, they came for me. And there was no one left to speak up for me.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They will soon come door to door, looking for Jews ^h^h^h^h light bulbs. Resistance is futile.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank you!

Reply to
Todd

Yes

They were cowards and did not get in the libs faces about it.

That will takes years and the courts are packed with libs that push their own agenda, like gay marriage. Court activists don't give a s*** about the law.

The emperor will just post another edict and we will still have Obama care

Every congress had done it. We need to get in American Pravada face about the biases reporting.

Baloney. Every time we have shut it down, Armageddon never occurred. And we never had a full shutdown, ever. That is American Pravda again.

They give in because they are cowards and they are also part of the problem. They spend like drunken sailors, just like the libs, except that drunken sailors stop spending when they run out of their own money. Cowards and hypocrites!

Sorry for venting. The republicans can be such wussies at times

Reply to
Todd