Better start hoarding those 60-watt incandescents...

Page 2 of 7
On 12/12/2014 9:44 PM, Reggie wrote:

True, but in the rarely visitd room the existing bulb will last for decades. I have a couple like that.
On 12/12/2014 9:44 PM, Reggie wrote:

No worries, just pay $40 a bulb for a closet.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Saturday, December 13, 2014 7:54:53 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I just saw some basic 60W LEDS at HD that were $5, more choices now under $10. They are rapidly coming down in price. They even have LED retrofits for 6" recessed ceiling lights for $15 now.

Good thing most of us have some CFLs that are still going strong for those uses.
--
Dan Espen

I am not going to put an expensive LED into a closet I never use when the existing bulb goes out.
I do use LEDs in places that are hard to get to for changing bulbs, and where the bulbs have a high duty cycle.

state - but with the LEDs it is the LEDs that are failing, not the electronics. Crappy construction with poor heat sinking appears to be the problem, I've got 7 mr16 type bulbs on a light strip.I wewnt through at least 3 sets of 3X3 watt cree units, ans 2 sets of 4X3 watt, and 1 1/2 sets of COB type units in the last 3 years, after having halogens last over 8 years. Voltage is not the problem
On 12/12/2014 09:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

When white LED's get hot they slowly stop putting out light. They still draw the same amount of current, just no light.
Without the proper heat sink, you are just wasting your money.

There is a loophole in that law that our HD exploits. 130v bulbs don't seem to be covered. Since I am getting 124v at the wall, I want 130s anyway.
The era of incandescent light bulbs will soon be extinguished forever. Beginning Jan. 1, 2015, 60-watt and 40-watt incandescent bulbs will start to disappear from store shelves, returning us back to the Dark Ages.
What these light bulb bans are doing is making our future generations more stupid, due to a lack of light, and thus taking away our education.
Before the electric light, people were not very intelligent. Electric lights allowed people to read books in the evening, after a hard days work, and thus, our world became educated. This is why we saw so many advancements in electronics, transportation, and even space travel during the 20th century.
Several years ago, they banned the 100w incandescent bulbs, and reading became more difficult. Next the 75w incan... bulb was banned, and people had to curtail their bed time reading, or their eyes would hurt. In 2015, the 60w and 40w incan.... bulbs will be banned, and we will once again enter the dark ages, whereas the 25w and smaller bulbs will barely exceed the illumination of the candles used in the past. Reading will cease, and the minds of Americans will stop learning. We will once again enter the age of stupidity, while eye doctors will become the most demanded professionals. Yet, students in the optic medical profession will fail their studies, not being able to do their homework after the sun sets.
Welcome back to the Dark Ages, and a Future of Stupidity !!!!
--
[Be sure to thank our elected officials in Washington, for turning out
the lights in America. (Incandescent Prohibition).
On 12/13/2014 5:31 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

And, it's all W Bush's fault, some how?
Hey, maybe with any luck, we can double daylight saving time, and have an extra two hours of daylight every 24 hours.
On 12/13/2014 08:26 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

That's funny. The idea that government can control the amount if daylight we have.

On 12/13/2014 1:26 PM, sam E wrote:

they would have done so years ago. And many do believe it's possible.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 12/13/2014 12:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[snip]

Both of those sound true.
Many believe it possible, and fail to notice that it isn't working.
Of course, there's one little benefit of DST. Twice a year you get to set your clocks (set them right, hopefully).
--
11 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).
On 12/14/2014 2:51 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

zone. In summer, it is light here at 5 am with DST. Without, it would be light 4 am. I'd rather have the additional light at the end of my day. OTOH, instead of fiddling with clocks we can just say,"Hey guys, next week we work 6 to 2 instead of 7 to 3.
On 12/14/2014 02:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

1+
On 12/14/2014 04:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My mother knew some people who worked on a military base in Arizona (no DST). That's what they did, and found it a lot easier than messing with the clocks (and actually doing the same thing, but pretending otherwise).
--
10 days until the winter celebration (Thursday December 25, 2014
12:00:00 AM for 1 day).

Not funny at all. I have over 500 hours of daylight in my savings account. I'm going to use it when I retire and can enjoy the extra time.
On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 13:51:09 -0600, Mark Lloyd

Did you ever hear of a Bi-Polar Bear? :)
On 12/15/2014 4:50 AM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/5d/54/0b/5d540b94f8bbe2eba3ac56d37c693b0c.jpg
--
.