Better programmable thermostat?

are there any programmable thermostats out there that you can recommend that do better than just the four time a day settings? I sometimes leave the house for odd hours at a time and I'd like to be able to override 2 or 3 settings at a time without having to program each quarter. I'd like to have one that allows me to override the custom settings for 5 hours or 8 hours or 2 days if needed.

If you're leaving the house, why not just use the "hold" feature and set it for whatever is the cheapest use? For instance, I work at home, so mine's set for 68 (heat) most of the day, and 66 at night. But, if I'm gone for a lengthy period during the day, I hit the hold button and set it for 66.

Mine doesn't have a hold function but that still wouldn't help what I want to achieve. I want to be able to easily drop it down about 10 degrees for about 8 hours if I know I'm going to be out about 10 hours then have it gradually increase back up to the normal setting for the next 2 hours so it's back to normal by the time I'm home. Does a thermostat like that exist? This is mostly for weekends where it's impossible to program because I don't know if I'm going to be home or out that day.
In article

Depends on whether or not you want to include "easy". Obviously if it is programmable you can make changes as needed to the programming. Don't know if the hassle of doing this is worth it.
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:41:49 -0800, Joe wrote:

If the best Honeywell stat doesn't do what you want then you're out of luck.
Meat Plow wrote:

you could probably create your own thermostat and make it do whatever you want.
But you'd have to worry about all the possible fault modes, short cycling, etc.

I like the Honeywell models. Some have a "skip next time period" (keep it at the current setting) or "go to next time period" and the hold feature as well. Some do not need battery backups either unless power is lost for a long time.
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The latest Honeywell systems (the IAC models) allow you to "log in" to your home from any web browser, adjust the temp, activate any x10 device, check web cameras, etc...
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
On Dec 18, 1:25 am, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The Honeywell LCD touch panel, think they are called VisionPro, have a feature called vacation hold. It holds the set temp for X days, which you can set. It also has adaptive recovery, which figures out how soon to fire up the system for recovery. So, if you want it to be 70 at 8am, you just set that and it will fire up the system at say 7:10AM. It learns the amount of time needed over a period of time.
I've never seen one with the feature that the OP wants. It would be similar to the vacation hold on the Honeywell, but would have increments of hours instead of days.
I'd also suggest the OP check his existing one real close, because he says it doesn't have a hold feature. He has a programmable one and I've never seen a prog one that doesn't have a hold.
In article <41ec6474-f970-428e-90f7-

The White-Rodgers 90 Series allow you to set a temporary hold for a given length of time, in 15 minute increments. The touch screen models allow up to 2 days of override, the button models allow up to 19 hours.
Cheaper electronic WR models may also have this feature, but I'm not familiar with them.
--
Seth Goodman

I highly recommend this one. You can change it over the phone. http://www.scillc.com/cem%20series.htm
Good luck