Better flapper seal

There is a bit of draining after a minute or so after flushing the toilet. Tried replacing the flapper. Pretty much got the same result. I'm using the popular orange 'Corky' flapper sold at Home Depot. There is a slight imperfection in the brass pipe (?) that the flapper rests on. Don't know if that is that is the problem. I'm wondering if there is a way to get a better seal from this flapper.
The toilet is an older 'Standard' toilet probably 30 years old or so. The plumber across the street recommends I replace the whole toilet unit with all it's fixtures. I figure that might run me $200+ or so with installation. I'd rather settle for the temporary $5.00 fix if possible.
They do make aftermarket seats for flappers. Tom
Charlie S. wrote:

You might want to try one of the 87 cent flappers at Walmart. I tried a Corky once and ever could get it to seal, something was wrong with the geometry.
flusher fixer by fluidmaster is your answer. on all 18 of our toilets. see: http://www.fluidmaster.com/flush_products_555c.html
I had the same problem with a Kohler, after using the generic flapper from the plumbing supply house. So for twice the price I tried a Kohler flapper and all is well.

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 00:56:58 GMT, "Charlie S."

I have 3 26-year-old Elgers.
Ihadleakage with "univeral" flappers, so I kept shopping and found a particular one that worked fine. I bought 3 and then a few years later I bought 2 cases** of them, 24, iirc. I'm figuring that will last me to the end of my life, at least if I get 6 years out of each one, I'll be 94. If they last longer, I'll give them to neighbors or include them with the sale of the house.
**After a mom&pop hardware store cloesd, I had to hunt for the model on google. Onlly got 4 hits but one was in Baltimore, where I live., .