best wristwatch grease?

I've always preferred Timex because John Cameron Swayze proved they were shockproof and waterproof.

I like the kind with a calendar because I sometimes I don't have a marker to cross the days off my wall calendar. I like the kind with a stopwatch to be sure my mower is up to speed and my toilet isn't clogged.

They don't hold up equally well. The one I bought in 2000 lasted until

2004. The one I bought in 2004 lasted until 2005. The one I bought in 2005, for $14, is still going strong.

However, I had a little trouble this year when it kept leaking. The O-ring had expanded so it didn't stay in the groove when I screwed the back down. I solve that by using plumber's grease instead of an O-ring.

Plumber's grease is hard to apply correctly because it's transparent and colorless. What would be a better grease? The easiest method would be to leave the cover a little loose, pump the watch full of grease until it came out the crack, and tighten the cover. Where can I get a Zerk fitting for a wristwatch?

Reply to
J Burns

Water proof is BIG words. Most likely water resistant. Water proof upto what depth? My Casio G shock is said to be water proof down to 100 meters. Could never dive that deep to check it out. My other watches(sort of high end ones) need regular check up at service center. Part of check up is testing the water leak using pressured water. And this watches stay on winder when not worn to keep it running and prevent gumming or drying of lubricating oil. I watched my watch maker using a little tiny pointed brush to oil watches. I thought O ring and gasket is two different thing....

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Mine says "water resistant 100 M."

I may have been 11 or 12 when I bought my first wrist watch. it said waterproof. I returned it the day I bought it because it was wet inside and stopped ticking.

I told the store guy I'd washed my hands with it on. He got mad. "You shouldn't get a watch wet just because it says it's waterproof!"

Here's the IP code.

Fenix headlamps seem to be IPX-6 or IPX-8. The X means they aren't concerned with penetration by hands, fingers, wires, dust, or other solids. If my calculations are right, the 6 means you you could take a

1/2" nozzle with water coming out at 300 km/hour and spray the light at 3 meters for half an hour without getting any water inside.

The 8 means it can be submerged indefinitely. Fenix says they test their lights at 2 meters.

I wonder if I could get the fire department to test my watch!

I call it an O-ring if it's a circular loop with a round cross section. You may be right. How can I tell the difference?

Reply to
J Burns

I had a Casio G shock, about 1995. it was supposed to take my pulse if I put my finger on a certain spot. That didn't work very well.

I liked the watch, but I don't think it lasted long.

Reply to
J Burns

If you think you can put a nipple in the watch, you're looking for trouble.

Just add some food coloring to the plumber's grease and you'll be fine.

Reply to
micky

bob_villa

Just what I need! I think I have some dielectric grease somewhere in my junk, and it's a highly opaque white. Who needs pesky gaskets!

Reply to
J Burns

I had an antique motorcycle. At one lube point, it had a little hole instead of a Zerk fitting. I'd use a piece of inner tube as a sort of washer. I'd lay it around the hole and press the nozzle of the grease gun against it.

My mother's cousin knew what to do. He ground the threads on a Zerk fitting to match the taper of the hole. If I had tapered bits, I could drill a tapered hole in my watch case. Do they make "pencil-sharpeners" for Zerks, to grind the threaded end to a desired taper?

How about baby powder?

Reply to
J Burns

My daily wear is G shock which is solar powered, with 3 time signal receivers. Any where in the world I go, I just tell it what city I am in. Then it shows local time. Very accurate, light and taking shower wearing it causes no problem. It has bunch of other features but I don't use them all.

Reply to
Tony Hwang