Best way to wire an outdoor box

Page 1 of 2
I'm referring to this kind of electrical box.
http://www.asi-ez.com/pix/Prod/ASI1B503.gif
When wiring one of these waterproof outdoor boxes on a wall, I've found that it's not possible to use the traditional methods. What I mean is that when the box sits flat against the wall, you cant use a romex clamp on the back. I dont care to have the wire exposed where it enters the box from the top, bottom or side, so I always bring the wire in the rear hole. The problem is that you cant clamp it, unless you make a large enough hole for the whole clamp. While that may seem ok, it's really not, because water will get behind the box and into the wall.
While my method may not be up to code (due to lack of a clamp), I've simply drilled a 1/2" hole in the wall, ran the wire thru that hole and used silicone caulk around the romex. After the silicone drys, I just let the wire come thru the hole in the box without a clamp. Before wiring it, I put more silicone in the threaded hole around the cable to seek water from entering this box.
Is there any other method for doing this?
On 7/16/2012 4:33 PM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

will still require a hole around 1 1/4" diameter. I typically lay a small bead of silicone around the top and half way down the sides of the box to prevent water entry between the box and structure. It is a requirement to seal the threaded knockouts as well, or water will seep into the box.

caulk or spray foam, or "dum-dum". Pull the wire in.
On 7/16/2012 8:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

On 7/16/2012 6:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

What connector are you using on the end of the conduit.
Is the conduit stub attached to the waterproof box? That connector also requires a larger hole.
Or maybe you are creating a future Holmes project.
I use RBM's method, with John G's modification. Some waterproof boxes I drill a hole in the bottom in case water gets in.
bud--
On 7/17/2012 10:53 AM, bud-- wrote:

connector, or emt connector to emt to emt/NM choke fitting. How is any of that more compact

Wouldn't a threaded PVC terminal connector and a length of PVC conduit through the wall be a bit more compact than a Romex connector on the back of the box?
Don't know...just asking.

Yes, but then if you pull the romex through it, which is what the OP was using, then you still don't have the romex clamped. I've seen a lot of them done and passed though where they just pulled the romex through the wall, into a hole on the box, with no clamp. It doesn't seem like the worse thing in the world either, as long as the cable is otherwise secured nearby before it goes through the wall.
On 7/17/2012 4:32 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

back of the box. In my opinion, it makes for a sloppy job, plus I've had too many occasions where there were sharp burrs on the romex connector which cut through the jacket, and the conductors and shorted the cable. This is why I like the Arlington black buttons. (NM-94) They're plastic, so they insulate. They also hold the cable adequately, and like you say, where's it going to go. The only caveat is that the buttons aren't exactly designed for threaded entries, but with a little improv, they work great.
On 7/17/2012 4:19 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What if you transition to single conductors via a junction box inside the house before going through the wall?
Do single conductors entering a box via conduit have to be secured in any manner?
On 7/17/2012 4:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

the back that lined up with the knockout on the outside bell box, you could cut a short piece of pvc with male adapters on each end, locknut one end on the inside and thread the outside end into the box. It's just not the most likely scenario.
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:50:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

On Jul 17, 7:42pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Good thing cuz I have a few exterior boxes wired that way. I think I remember checking years go when I wired them but I figured I'd ask again just to remind myself.
Why does Romex have to be secured?
On 7/17/2012 6:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Then you have a box on the inside which may be useful or not.

In general all wiring methods have to be secured to a box.
--
bud--

Not true as far as I understand it.
See the earlier posts from RBM and snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca, both of which confirmed my understanding that single conductors entering a box via conduit do not have be secured to the box.
Assuming that that is correct, then my question still stands.
Why does Romex have to be secured?
On 7/18/2012 12:53 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You asked if individual conductors within a conduit must be secured, and they needn't be , however the wiring method, the conduit, must be secured to the box. Likewise, if you transition from one wiring method to another, they must be secured to each other. This is why you can's just thread a pipe nipple to the back of a bell box and slip the romex through it, (as Clare suggested), the pipe nipple needs to be clamped to the romex.

The Romex clamp keeps the wires from being put under tension at the conductor. The conduit protects the wire where it enters the box, giving the same protection to the connections.

individual conductors to the outside, - no clamp required.