Best way to tighten / loosen faucet locknuts ??

I am trying to replace a faucet installed on a small bathroom vanity, and the locknuts holding the faucet in place are very difficult to reach.

For anyone who has worked underneath sinks and replaced faucets, it is usually tight quarters and hard to reach. It is especially hard to hold a basin wrench or other tool in just the right position in order to apply torque.

I have seen ads for a device called the Basin Buddy which is a patented, supposedly universal basin nut wrench which claims to make the job much easier:

Does anybody here have an opinion about this product or any other better method of removing and tightening these locknuts?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Smarty

You can buy an inexpensive basin wrench at the BORG which will tighten the nuts as tight as they need to be.

Here is a picture:

Colbyt

You might find a friend that you could borrow one from.

Reply to
RLM

I've always been able to get by with the old style basin wrench's. And they work on the newer "nutless" nuts that just have ears instead of flats.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

If, as you say, you are trying to REMOVE the faucets, then that wrench you point to will only remove the tubing coupling nuts, but likely not the faucet mounting nuts, which are the ones which secure the faucets themselves to the sink.

Jeff

Jeffry Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE) The speed of light is 1.8*10^12 furlongs per fortnight.

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

It's a thirty-dollar tool that's only worth two bucks. It's made of _plastic_ for crying out loud. You'll also have to buy an 18" socket extender, and that'll run you another fifteen dollars or so--but at least it will be metal. :-)

Of course, only you know what your time is worth.

Reply to
SteveBell

The *words* on the sheet claim it is made from anodized aluminum.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

I never considered the possibility of using a crowsfoot-style wrench, and this would seem to be an ideal answer for my particular problem. The hex nut is 1-1/2", so I am going to pick up the appropriately sized wrench. I already have the necessary extensions, ratchet, etc.

Thanks again to all for being truly excellent with great suggestions!!!

Reply to
Smarty

Smarty posted for all of us...

This may an idea:

Tekkie®

My bad...as another poster noted, the literature says "machined from anodized aluminum".

More likely machined & then anodized (but my money is on die casting not maching)

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt