Best Way To Secure Lawn Tractor

I am seriously considering buying a John Deer lawn tractor but I really don't want to keep it in my garage. Since I don't have an outbuilding either, I'm open to suggestion on how to keep this tractor from wandering off.
I am thinking along the lines of sinking some sort of metal shackle in some post holes filled with concrete, then chaining the tractor to the shackles with a good stout padlock.
Where might I find suitable hardware? Does anyone have a better idea?
Film at 11.....
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
How are you going to keep it dry?

some post

Think bolt cutter. It had better be hardened chain and lock. A good bolt cutter will take care of most locks on the market. Ed
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:26:33 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

I got a bolt cutter that can cut any chain or lock in a few seconds. Where do you live? A J.D. lawn tractor is something I'd like to own.

don't
I'm
some post

with a

As an example? Understand that chaining caravans (camping trailers) down to eye bolts etc. embedded in-ground concrete blocks, to prevent theft, in the UK has been tried with limited success; and trailers have to be towed away! Understand some success preventing theft if wheels are removed but this would be a pain to have to constantly do with a garden machine. Another idea might be to put it under a rigid semi weather proof removable cover (or maybe a sort of drive-in locker?) parked/built next to the house and wire an alarm into the house? The moment someone opens the cover or touches the machine an alarm would sound inside the house, in the bedroom or wherever! And/or chain it to the house? Sounds like a bigger version of absenting barbecues!
I am seriously considering buying a John Deer lawn tractor but I really don't want to keep it in my garage. Since I don't have an outbuilding either, I'm open to suggestion on how to keep this tractor from wandering off.
I am thinking along the lines of sinking some sort of metal shackle in some post holes filled with concrete, then chaining the tractor to the shackles with a good stout padlock. I'd cover the area with a motion detector to light it up if needed.
Where might I find suitable hardware? Does anyone have a better idea? I don't need any helpful comments about dogs (don't have any) or guns (got plenty). I'm looking to protect it when I'm not here.
-- Mortimer Schnerd, RN
snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

Chaining it down won't even slow a thief down if they want to take it. And a pellet gun will take care of that motion detector light. And why buy an expensive lawn tractor and then leave it laying around outside in the elements ?
At least build a shed.
Randy http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner
My thought exactly!

don't
I'm
some
with a

it up

plenty).
<< I'm open to suggestion on how to keep this tractor from wandering off. >>
1) Take off one of the back wheels and keep it in the house. Makes it appear something might be broken, hence not worth stealing. 2) Paint your name prominently on the machine and deck. Put your engraver to use marking the rig for police help if it does disappear. 3) Put up a metal fence around the outfit and top the fence with big mean looking electric insulators all interconnected by shiny bare copper wire. Connection to source optional. 4) Move to a more civilized community and enjoy the peace of mind and high taxes. Good luck.
Joe
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

There are books of how to build sheds which can be done real cheap, fast and easy if you are not the building type. But be sure to use concrete pads or some flooring that is attached to the walls. You don't want anyone to be able to tip the shed over like an outhouse is tipped over. No windows. Double lock should do the trick.
You say you don't have any outbuildings but you must have lots of property to even consider a tractor as opposed to a motorless push lawnmower!
You want to buy a JD and leave it outside ! Drive it in your living room.
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:26:06 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

I wouldn't do this. Tractors don't last near as long if they are left out in the weather.
Make sure you keep if out of sight and secure it with square clink hardened chain. (not easy to cut with bolt cutters)
I might also pull the starter fuse and/or remove the battery for extended periods.

build a shed?
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:26:33 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"