Best way to repair badly designed gate

Flickr

Post some pictures of your golf net so people will know you follow through. :)

Post some pictures of your golf net so people will know you follow through. :)
-end of previous posts- R, Wouldn't he have to post a video of his swing so people could tell if he follows through? ;-) Kerry

...snip...

My thoughts (but please don't take this as gospel!)
Is it necessary that the gate be latched closed, or merely that it stay closed? If the latter, perhaps a self-closing hinge of some sort--I'd probably choose a double-direction one if it were me--would be an ideal answer. No latch, no banging, no nothing. Lee Valley has such a "Double-Acting Hinge" in their Gate Hardware section.
If that won't work, I might be tempted to see about introducing some sort of buffer material in the hinges; a thin piece of leather, say, glued to one of the leaves. If it's in the middle of the hinge, I don't think it would tend to rip them off/apart all that much, and if sized right, it could provide some added dampening for the latch.
Another possibility might be a different style of latch, one that requires manual intervention to activate. One old design uses an offset vertical rod on the gate and a ring held captive in a handle-like piece on the post. To latch, the ring is lifted and slipped over the vertical rod of the gate, encircling it and the bit on the post. Another possibility is some kind of a trough arrangement that hinges down from the post over the top of the gate.
Of the ideas you posted, I think the doorstop ones (whether one built into the ground or a stop plank added on to the post) are the most practical. The stop plank may tend to work loose from the post or split and break from the banging of the gate if not sufficiently well sized or attached.
--
Andrew Erickson

WTF? Advertisements, and a huge file I have to download? Buy a vowel. Get a clue. Put it on Flickr, or photobucket, or any commonly used format on the Internet, and I'll give you some advice.
Steve (former steel erection contractor, welder, construction magnet)