Best way to recover $$$ from old but working Lennox central a/c

I am planning on replacing a 22 year old Lennox 3.5 ton central air system with a new Lennox system. All components are being replaced, outdoor unit, furnace evaporator coil, line set, etc. The unit is still working but is ready to be updated both in terms of efficiency as well as noise level. I am not interested in using any of this old system any further.

Since the equipment is all working and providing correct cooling, and has a full charge of Freon, I am looking for advice for selling it off.

I understand that Freon cannot be purchased and evacuated without EPA license, but I assume there may be dealers or technicians looking to buy a few pounds.

I also understand that the Copeland scroll compressor, condenser fan, A-coil, expansion valve, line set, contactor, electronics, etc. are all used, but perhaps have some significant salvage value.

Do I put it up for sale on Craigslist?

Do I offer it to a scrap dealer?

Do I offer it to local HVAC people?

Any other / better ideas.

I get the impression that there are people who buy used but working Lennox and other units for parts.

My previous furnace brought $375 on Craigslist when the local heating guy said he would haul it away for free......

Smarty

I don=92t know about the Freon.

But as far as the metal goes, I do have some experience.

Your local scrapyard is a surprisingly easy place to navigate. Bring in stuff, and they=92ll separate it into different metals. Each pile is weighed, and you show a driver=92s license and get paid.

They=92ll happily take whole units. HOWEVER, an hour with a screwdriver and Sawzall will net you double or triple.

First, disassemble each unit as much as possible. Cut all copper away from all other metals. This includes the endplates for the A-coil and evaporator coil. Pile all the copper (which will be a mix of small bits and big pieces) into one big box. The coils will be a mix of aluminum and copper; this is pile number 2.

Next, get all that steel framing into one pile. Drain the compressor housing. It=92s full of oil. They may or may not take the compressor housing anyway.

I got about $300 for my old AC unit and furnace, after I disassembled it into the metals they were interested in. The bonus is, it all fit into my hatchback.

Reply to
Bryan Scholtes

Have you considered leaving it connected and intact as a back-up when the new unit fails one day or even as a booster for extremely hot days? The older units were a lot more reliable and cheaper to repair anyway.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Thanks to you and others for replying. I really have no space for both old and new systems. The indoor coil in the furnace plenum will need to be removed to make space for the replacement coil, and the old outdoor unit will also need to be removed to make space for the new, much larger condenser / compressor unit. I would love to replace the old system with another system which is as reliable and as cheap to repair, but I am pretty certain that these new Puron units with their much higher pressures are going to be exactly the opposite.

Reply to
Smarty

I had the chance to replace the outdoor unit of an ancient heat pump. It was used as AC only, the previous tech had disabled a lot. I got the new unit in, and the HO came out to see. He asked how noisy the unit would get. Well, it's running now, and we're having a quiet conversation. Aparently, the old unit was so noisy they had to go indoors to get away from the noise.

Sounds like the old system isn't much value, as a system. The compressor can be used for an air compressor, if someone changes the hygroscropic oil, and puts in ND-30 instead.

.

+1 to that. A 22 year old system is pretty much only worth what it's worth for scrap. The exception would be someone who would give you $20 for say the condenser fan because they have a system that it will fit in. But good luck finding that person. Guess you could take any of those kinds of parts and list them on Ebay, but doubt you'll have much success. Like how do you know which systems it fits or doesn't fit, etc.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon