Best way to re-mortar bluestone walkway.

I have a bluestone walkway and steps on the front of my house that has over time lost some of its mortar joints and I would like to re-mortar them. Are there any special tricks or tools to do this? I was going to put masking tape along each side of the joint to make a clean job and just use a small putty knife to put mortar in the joint, but I was wondering if anyone else had some input. Thanks

Ive put in a few pattios and walkways using dry mortar, unless you are in the desert dirt will have enough moisture to cure it. You can wet the area , wait till the tops of stones are dry, pour in dry mortar, sweep the stones clean and cover with plastic for a few days or incase it rains. Using wet mix is a always a mess
You will never get the strength and durability of a wet mix by dry filling the joints. If the stones are set on a slab and you clean out the joints of all loose mortar and they are soundly set on the slab you can repoint with mortar mix and compact the joints with a pointing trowell. There are some acrylic additives that improve mortar, acryl 60 is one brand name. You can also color the mortar or mix your own from sand lime and portland cement. Masking tape might just work, it's something I have never considered, the mess can be limited by making the mortar as dry as is workable and pressing it into place hard with the trowell. Scrub the goobers that get on the stones by wiping with a piece of rolled up burlap in one diretion only so you don't fill the pores of the stone. Make sure you stop to get pet and kid footprints in a wide joint for some later smiles.