Best way to pass satellite cable into house

The house has a cable behind the detached garage that connects into the in-house cables. But my satellite dish is big and can't be placed near the garage (besides, that area is partially blocked by another house). I could use a long cable to connect the dish from its current location to the cable behind the garage. But for now I pass the dish cable into the house through the nearby window but the window can't be fully closed. What's your suggestion?
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 06:20:17 -0800 (PST), Yong Huang

Drill a hole through the wall.
Jeff The Drunk wrote in

What he said.

Thanks. I'll do that, or hire somebody do it.
For others, here's some news to entertain: http://www.kmbc.com/news/15701029/detail.html Man Installing Satellite TV Shoots, Kills Wife

From the inside, use a very small drill bit first to make sure you are not hitting a stud. Likely to hit stud if you are at a corner of the room, near an outlet, below the sides of a window, there's a stud(s) below the window and may or may not be in the middle.
If you have base molding, take note of nail heads where it was nailed into the stud.
Within a couple of inches of the floor you'll hit horizontal bottom plate of wall frame.
One side of original construction outlets are nailed into a stud.
You'll catch insulation with the drill bit. Hopefully no wires.

I found that the best way to drill a hole from the interior to the exterior is with a wire hanger.
Cut one end to a point with a set of diagonal cutters and chuck the other end into your drill.
With patience, you can drill through concrete block, wood framing, sheathing, siding, etc. Yes, you might get some "whipping" if the wire isn't straight enough, but it will go through eventually.
Depending on whether I am more concerned with the final location on the interior or exterior helps determine if I will drill from inside the house or from the outside.
After drilling through with the hanger, I remove it from the chuck but leave it in the wall. I go inside (or out), locate the other end and if I am satisfied with the location, I will then enlarge the hole as required. If I don't like the result, a little caulk will seal the hole and I can start over.

I took mine, when I had a big dish, through a vent into the crawl space then up through the floor behind the TV. Lacking a crawl space the same could be done with the attic, but the to the TV would be more complicated unless you don't mind a wire running down the wall.

Bust out the glasss with a brick just throw it through, or use a hammer, or gun, use cardboard an duk tape to seel her good, or drill a hole down low, or drill a hole and get an exterior mount jack plate, an interior one and seal the hole with foam, so here you have the hillbilly, hack, and proper way, pick what you like, or tape up yr windo and be done.

Disregard Ransley, he is obviously having a worse than normal day. Make a whole in some part of the house to bring the cable inside. Be sure to use a drip loop to keep rain water from going into the hole. Caulk the hole so that air and water and criters do not come in with the cable. GET A NEIGHBOR WHO KNOWS ABOUT THESE THINGS TO HELP YOU.

re: "GET A NEIGHBOR WHO KNOWS ABOUT THESE THINGS TO HELP YOU."
He can't. All of his neighbor's are p*ssed at him 'cuz he's got this big, ugly satellite dish in his yard.

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:57:39 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

No, Ransley's ideas are great! Using the gun would be the most prudent method. One well placed bullet would provide the path to get the cable to several rooms at once. Just make sure someone is at the other end sighting you in...
Gordon Shumway
Our Constitution needs to be used less as a shield for the guilty and more as a sword for the victim.

. GET A NEIGHBOR WHO KNOWS ABOUT THESE THINGS TO HELP YOU.
I keep seeing words to that effect on this group. What sort of time-warp 1950s neighborhoods do you all live in? I vaguely remember the neighborhood dads shooting the breeze in the alley of the late-1950s block we lived in, but haven't seen anything like that since. Based on some of the DIY horrors I've seen in the areas I've lived since then, they are the last people I would ask for advice.
-- aem sends...
If you have DISH NETWORK the extra receiver fees went up a LOT, as much as 17 bucks per extra receiver, 5 buck discount per receiver connected to phone line is no more.......
OP may not want dish anymore

Fire a single .50 caliber round at the wall at the desired entry point.
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 06:20:17 -0800 (PST), Yong Huang

Cut the cable in half, and the close the window.

Lengthwise?
Yong Huang wrote:

Also - there should be a ground block where the coax enters the house, and the ground block must connect to the house earthing system for the power service. And likely a ground wire from the dish to the house earthing system.
--
bud--

On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 06:20:17 -0800 (PST), Yong Huang

How about a piece of flat coaxial cable? Here's the first link I found: http://www.summitsource.com/product_info.php?ref=1&products_idi65
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us