Best way to paint a garage door............

I have an eight foot high, approximately 20 foot across, garage door that I will need to paint soon. We are re-siding our house & the current color of the door, brown, will not match. The door is made of aluminum I think, or maybe steel.
What is the best way to paint the door?
Is a "Wagner" power painter worth buying for this job? If so, what model is best for this type of job?
Thanks in advance!
John in Wisconsin
Mr. Stein wrote:

hardware store and speak to the owner and get the info you will need, you never gonna get all the years of experience at a home depot or lowes as most of the kids there never have seen a garage door that needed paint....

A spray job will require masking off areas. I washed my door with TSP, rinsed well, allowed it to dry for several days, primed and painted it. Garage doors look best when painted such that they blend in with the house. I painted mine the same color as the trim which is white. Also, I decided to paint the inside of the door and that really brightened up the inside garage. Take the time to use dropcloths--paint drips on concrete is bad news.
wrote (with possible editing):

I don't think I'd buy a spray gun just for a garage door, and if I bought one, it wouldn't be a Wagner.
Aside from that, and assuming it is an overhead door, the issue will be the cracks between the panels. After painting the outside (and inside if you want), what I did was to do the cracks one at a time. You have to leave the door partially open, exposing the crack, paint both panels and then leave the door in position for a day or so to let it dry completely (otherwise it will stick and pull the paint off when you open it). Damn nuisance, but I don't know any other way.
-- Larry snipped-for-privacy@lmr.com
wrote (with possible editing):

Great tip, Patch. Actually, I didn't mean the same cracks you're referring to; instead, I meant the upper and lower surfaces of the panels. Man, I can't seem to put this into words! Most overhead doors consist of 5 or so horizontal panels hinged together. They roll up and down on one or two (low clearance hardware) sets of tracks. The part I'm talking about is the top and bottom of each panel.
-- Larry snipped-for-privacy@lmr.com

I would agree that I wouldn't buy or use a spray gun on a garage door because of the seams between the sections. With a spray gun it will be difficult to keep the paint out of the seams & still have the job look good. Personnally I have always used a brush but normally paint the door before it is installed.
Your way of painting the seams is the only solution other than taking the door out of the opening. Hence most people don't usually paint the seams between the sections. However it looks much better when they are painted.
Doordoc www.doorsandopeners.com