Best way to level lot for pole barn

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I'd suggest using landscaping timbers and rebar to contain the gravel. The timbers are relatively attactive and rebar stakes through drilled holes in the timbers are all but invisible. As for spreading dirt or gravel, tractor with box blade or a Bobcat is probably the best way. You can move a lot of dirt with a Bobcat (but it will beat you to death). I'd recommend putting the poles for your barn in first and then build up the timbers and fill with dirt or gravel. Make sure the poles are rot-resistant.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Do a search on google groups (rec.crafts.metalworking) on "How to make a lot level" and you'll get 52 hits. Ken.
Why do you want it level? Where will the water go when it rains? Most designs of this type call for an elevated floor with clear drainage all around; otherwise you just built a big mudhole. Bugs