Best way to level a building

Page 2 of 2

Local code says buildings over a certain size (100 sq. ft.?) must be anchored into the ground.

Local code says buildings over a certain size (100 sq. ft.?) must be anchored into the ground.
That is why they call it a "local" code and not a "planetary" code. They are different in different locales.
HTH
Steve
Visit my site at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com
All errors, brain farts, misspelled words intentional because this computer is set to Spelchek French, and I can't get it to do any different.
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Get a 12 ' (straight) board, put it on the floor so that it's supported only on the ends, and put your level atop the board.
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote: ...

As at least a couple of other said, level the pads then put the shed on top.
Of course, unless you put enough of a footing underneath the pads, settling and frost heave will change it w/ time anyway so there's not much point in getting particularly precise about unless do more than put a block on the ground.
I would set a series of "pads" that are all leveled before the building. It would be possible to arrive at the final stack, record the finished size, remove to get the building in location, restack to known elevations.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG
On Jun 14, 3:37am, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Am I the only person whose immediate response was "Diesel fuel and fertilizer?" :)
seriously, I think the other poster who suggested leveling the pads then setting the building on was onto something.
nate
Am I the only person whose immediate response was "Diesel fuel and fertilizer?" :)
seriously, I think the other poster who suggested leveling the pads then setting the building on was onto something.
nate

The fertilizer isn't necessary but does make the job go faster.

Shims. Pads will never stay level.
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Which brings up an interest question: How do house levelers know when the house is level?
For all I know, they put a marble on the floor and see which way it rolls.
I'm thinking they use some sort of laser beam along the foundation, but would appreciate actual knowledge or a link.
HeyBub wrote:

Water levels tend to work better for this application since they work around outside corners as well as between piers in a pier-beam setup.

That's all I know. Use a marble and not a tennis ball.

From the '50s I recall homes, schools, churches and historic buildings being moved across town. One guy on the roof to lift the red light signals.
They didn't have a laser in those days, as I understand.
Of all things, I never asked the company how they leveled the house after moving it. I would bet they had an answer.
snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Not sure how you're moving the shed, but certainly you could get your piers in place and leveled with a laser or water level first and then just place the shed on top of them.