Best way to jack up riding mower

I have a 15 year old Murray riding mower. It starts fine but now doesn't move forward. I looked and saw a belt was thrown, put it back on and it didn't move- didn't check but I suspect the same belt was thrown again. So I suspect I need to do some work- new belt, tightening pulley, whatever.
Question is: can I jack the mower sideways about 60 degrees or so to access the pulley, gearbox, clutch, etc. ? Will doing so do any damage like screwing up the carbureator or just cause maybe a little (replaceable) oil leakage, etc. ?
Reason I asked is its just not as feasible for me to drive it up on my carjacks which are too low. And working underneath is a pain- can't view what's going on. Tumping it almost sideways looks like it would be most accessible position. And I can dig a small hole to accomodate the mowing deck when I tump it.
And any guesses as to what may need to be done ? I guess when I check again I'll find the belt was thrown again, so my guess is I need a tighter (new) belt or to tighten the belt pulley.
Bob
Add pictures here
✖
if you jack it sideways,make sure the carb is on the up side, draining oil will help also.
✖
on 8/30/2007 3:37 PM snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net said the following:

Please pick a new sig link. The one you supply is kinda dumb. 1. The guy ripped off the GI's Mom. 2. The guy raced around in a classic Corvette. 3. The dead GI's ghost pulled the guy from the car, after the guy had ripped off the GI's mother? I don't think so! BTW, I am a Country Music fan. Didn't like the song when it first came out. Still don't.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

You have a sig, he does not.
Listen to Brad Paisley song "ONLINE"
OP.. keep the carb up as mentioned. -- Oren
"I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."
Add pictures here
✖
It's just a song. Not real life. Earl's not in the trunk either..
steve
said the following:

Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 30, 12:16 pm, snipped-for-privacy@us.ibm.com wrote:

My solution was a sturdy tree limb and a come along. BLOCK IT after hoisting!! Picked up the front end and had no problems. Draining the oil as someone suggested is not a bad idea.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
Get some help, and stand it up on it's ass. Jack stand or block up as needed. After you're through, turn the engine through a few revolutions by hand to make sure you don't have any liquid in the cylinder.
steve

Add pictures here
✖

Thanks Steve. Hadn't thought of standing it up on the ass, but I'm sure that "posture" will make it easier to work on. I didn't think it would be possible to turn a 14 hp engine over by hand. I guess you just pull on the belt a little at a time ?
Bob
Add pictures here
✖
on 8/31/2007 11:41 AM snipped-for-privacy@us.ibm.com said the following:

Just remove the spark plugs and use the starter (electric or pull cord).
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Had to do extensive work on my Cub Cadet. Finally, out of desperation, I just flipped it on its side. Did disconnect the fuel but forgot about the oil. At startup time I got a solid black cloud out of the exhaust that lasted a good 2-3 minutes. Scared me, I thought it would never end. Do drain the oil.
Ivan Vegvary
Add pictures here
✖
Oil does not make black smoke.

✖
Please pick a new sig link. The one you supply is kinda dumb. 1. The guy ripped off the GI's Mom. 2. The guy raced around in a classic Corvette. 3. The dead GI's ghost pulled the guy from the car, after the guy had ripped off the GI's mother? I don't think so! BTW, I am a Country Music fan. Didn't like the song when it first came out. Still don't. -------------------------------- thanks for the post bill, but i think we all know how new yorkers feel about most things... lucas
✖
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:16:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@us.ibm.com wrote:

Drain oil and gas and remove the battery.
--Andy Asberry-- ------Texas-----
Add pictures here
✖