best way to insulate a crawl space?

Insulated a new addition crawl space. Code only calls R10 (upstate NY). I see rolls of this white material used in new home construction. 4'x50' rolls, white vinyl with fiberglass against the CMU wall. I have also seen R19 un-faced fiberglass up against CMU wall. The R19 (pink is a bit cheaper sq ft) than the R10 vinyl faced. But what is the best way to insulate a crawl space 5 CMU block in height?
Thanks TP
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 03:03:33 +0000, TP wrote:

Is there some reason you wish to heat your crawl space? By insulating the outside walls you are, in effect, heating the crawl space. Unless there is some pressing reason not to, IMO it is better to insulate at the floor joists.

Look at the Building Science Corporation web site for a discussion of insulated crawl spaces. There appear to be good reasons to insulate the walls of crawl spaces in many cases. TB

Plumbing in the crawlspace? If so, then letting that area get below freezing has its own problems.
TP wrote:

Insulate the floor and vent the crawlspace.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Use those styrofoam shipping "peanuts". They are all OVER the place! You could set up collection bins at various work places and go around and collect them up once a week until you have enough to fill your crawlspace. You'll insulate your home AND help the environment at the same time!
not to mention prived a nice home for mice!

Thanks. :-) I'd like to keep the mice out please... It is considered a heated crawl, because it has access to existing basement 18"x24" opening. So code calls for R10.