Best Way To Install Screens

I have an enclosed porch with a lot of screens that need to be replaced. I started with the screen door using a charcoal aluminum screen and it was very time consuming and difficult. (I do have the round tool that you use to force the rubber spline into the canal (?) where it secures the screen.) I was wondering whether fiberglas screen is easier to install than aluminum screen and whether anyone would have any other tips as to how to install the screens. When I installed the aluminum screen on the door it was slow going because the it was hard to pinch the spline against the screen and because if the roller came off the spline, you would ruin the screen. Any tips on how to do this work more effectively would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

Reply to
Decij

practaice makes perfect, and imho the metal screen is easier than the fiberglass screen cause it moves around less while you are working with it.

for aluminum screen, using the convex side of the tool and ignoring the spline for the time, do the top first, then the bottom, then go back and hit the sides. you may have to cut in at a 45 in the corners on the overhanging screen so the corners get tight. otherwise they may bunch. after all 4 sides are dented in with the convex part of the tool, go back and install the spline with the concave side of the tool. start in a corner and work your way around.its a two step process. first dent the screen, then install the spline.

hope this helps.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

with metal screen you take your time and do the pushing of the tool lightly.. it take alot of strokes and pleanty of time to get the screen the take shape into the groove..... once in the grove all the way you go with the spline and push the spline in.... if you try to hurry the tool will cut right through the screen and ruin it....

Reply to
dbird

Be sure you end up where you start. Don't do the ends and then the side. Roll from one corner all the way around to end up in the same corner. I watched the boys roll over 2800 sq ft of screen in my new pool cage and that was what they all did.

Reply to
Greg

for a beginner doing one screen, it is significantly easier to do the ends than the sides. otherwise it bunches up in the last corner.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Yep these guys who do it for a living don't have a clue.

Reply to
Greg

i'm not giving advice to a professional. those guys can do it with their eyes shut. im giving advice to someone who has already tried the around the frame method and didnt like how it was progressing.

but hey. what do i know. i've just done a few screens. i didnt watch a team of pros in my backyard...

randy

Reply to
xrongor

You think that's hard; try doing it 25 ft up in the air on a creaky scaffold under a screen enclosure.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

not a pro but I believe that the metal screens are more for stapling in then triming with a strip of wood to secure and hide.Nylon screens are more for spline.

Reply to
cameron

Hi, I used little heavier gauge fiber glass screen material, they are rain/snow/tear resistant. No tear on any frames and door. To compensate the increase in gauge I used smaller spline. Was not a difficult job at all. As you repeat the process, you get better and faster.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

for stapling in then triming with a strip of wood to secure and hide.Nylon screens are more for spline.

Post from 2004. Would be interesting if this JD person still reads alt home repair. And still needs screen work.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon