Best way to get spots out of a carpet?

Aren't MS an oil??

That last item is a worry too.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

There can be no one "best" way. Different materials, different spots different levels of accpetable removal etc.

After you have tried the best cleaning attempt at cleaning and failed to meet the minimal accpetable results, then you are into step II.

In step II you remove a portion of the carpet and replace it. Maybe you can find some in a closet. Then you may need to "wear" the new piece a bit to blend it in with the older carpet.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

A long time ago a carpet installer told me to use club soda. It has worked for me with babies and animals. It may not do everything but it has worked for me with babies and pets. And compared to foam type cleaners I used to use, it's a lot cheaper, lasts longer (refrig) and leaves no residue stains. It used to easy to buy but nowadays you might have to go to a larger grocery store or liquor store to buy it.

Reply to
Observer

Interesting!! Thanks

Lou

Reply to
LouB

I'm back after spending several hrs this morning cleaning the carpet with a Hoover "steam" cleaner, which uses no steam. Even so, The overall look of the carpet is much better than before, although there are still some dark spots that I'll try some of the suggestions from this thread on. I want to give it overnight to dry thoroughly, and then I'll try the hands-and-knees approach with a scrub brush and some of the recommended cleaners. Club soda is intriguing, because now I remember my father using club soda on pesky stains.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Keith

Uhh I guess you did not notice. I am being helpful.

I am trying to persuade you to help yourself by describing the details. If you can't do that then YOU are the one that is not being helpful.

You remind me of co-workers that spend more energy trying to get out of work rather than just going ahead and doing the work in the first place. In your case the work is describing the specifics with a few keystrokes. The energy expended to get out of work would be your multiple posts telling people they are not helpful.

Reply to
tnom

Or philosophy? Maybe the OP will find that removing the mystery spot made it a bigger spot.

Reply to
Phisherman

Well, mineral spirits is an "oil-based" solvent, in that it sometimes comes from petroleum, but it's not an oil in the lubricant sense. Mineral spirits will evaporate at room temperature if you just let it sit, leaving no residue to speak of.

Reply to
SteveBell

You're welcome. I still keep a bottle around tho I have no more pets or babies... therefore I don't need it as often .

Reply to
Observer

Your post makes me smile. I can relate your post to my daughters who sometimes might argue about washing a few dishes in the sink and I tell them that by the time they get done arguing, it would be faster to just wash the few dishes. I guess they don't see it that way.

Reply to
Observer

Thanks

Reply to