Best way to get spots out of a carpet?

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:02:45 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Your post makes me smile. I can relate your post to my daughters who sometimes might argue about washing a few dishes in the sink and I tell them that by the time they get done arguing, it would be faster to just wash the few dishes. I guess they don't see it that way.

Dog Food? Something you have should help, mix laundry detergent in a spray bottle and get it real wet, scrub, and vac it up.
LouB | 2009-07-20 | 10:57:16 AM wrote:

It depends on the spot, but I've had good luck with mineral spirits (MS). I learned the trick from a carpet cleaner who kept a spray bottle of MS on his belt as he worked the wand. If a spot wouldn't come up with the detergent from the wand, he'd spray the spot with the MS, rub it a bit with the wand, then suck everything out with the wand.
I've also had good luck with Goof-Off for spots like paint. I saturate the spot, then suck everything out with a shop vacuum.
Be careful of making a spot that's much cleaner than everything else.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
SteveBell wrote:

Aren't MS an oil??
That last item is a worry too.
Lou
LouB | 2009-07-21 | 12:49:15 AM wrote:

Well, mineral spirits is an "oil-based" solvent, in that it sometimes comes from petroleum, but it's not an oil in the lubricant sense. Mineral spirits will evaporate at room temperature if you just let it sit, leaving no residue to speak of.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
SteveBell wrote:

Thanks

    There can be no one "best" way. Different materials, different spots different levels of accpetable removal etc.
    After you have tried the best cleaning attempt at cleaning and failed to meet the minimal accpetable results, then you are into step II.
    In step II you remove a portion of the carpet and replace it. Maybe you can find some in a closet. Then you may need to "wear" the new piece a bit to blend it in with the older carpet.

A long time ago a carpet installer told me to use club soda. It has worked for me with babies and animals. It may not do everything but it has worked for me with babies and pets. And compared to foam type cleaners I used to use, it's a lot cheaper, lasts longer (refrig) and leaves no residue stains. It used to easy to buy but nowadays you might have to go to a larger grocery store or liquor store to buy it.
Observer wrote:

Interesting!! Thanks
Lou
LouB wrote:

I'm back after spending several hrs this morning cleaning the carpet with a Hoover "steam" cleaner, which uses no steam. Even so, The overall look of the carpet is much better than before, although there are still some dark spots that I'll try some of the suggestions from this thread on. I want to give it overnight to dry thoroughly, and then I'll try the hands-and-knees approach with a scrub brush and some of the recommended cleaners. Club soda is intriguing, because now I remember my father using club soda on pesky stains.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Keith

You're welcome. I still keep a bottle around tho I have no more pets or babies... therefore I don't need it as often <grin>.