Best way to get spots out of a carpet?

Page 1 of 2
Best way to get spots out of a tan carpet?
From experience please.
TIA
Lou
on 7/20/2009 11:57 AM (ET) LouB wrote the following:

What kind of spots? Wine, urine, oil, dirt, etc.? Most commercial carpet cleaners can get spots out, but if not, a professional carpet cleaning service may be required.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I've used two products when my three daughter-units went through the toddler daze: Spot Shot and NYLAC Carpet Cleaner.
If you want an all-purpose spot cleaner, can affort the $5.49 / can then Spot Shot is the product for you. It excellent. The downside is the chemical smell that hangs as the product dries. (Huh; I just noticed it's a product produced by the WD-40 company.)
NYLAC was recommended by the carpet layer. It's my go-to when pets, kids, or grease get ground into the carpet. NYLAC cn be reached through their 1-800 # (1-800-33-NYLAC).
The Ranger
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:07:31 -0700, The Ranger <cuhulain> wrote:

If you really want to spot clean carpeting, you need a wet-dry vac. Use boiling water and/or your favorite soap, suck dry, then repeat with boiling water to rinse. I use one of those bissel cleanmachines and its luke warm water, but use boiling water when I have a tough spot.
The problem with the cleaners like "spot shot" is that they leave behind residues which will attract dirt. It'll look clean for a few weeks, but the spots will return.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Thanks to both of you.
Lou

I've had good luck with Spot Shot as well as a couple of friends have.
As far as the resides which attract dirt, I think the soapy/detergent types are the offenders of this. And I think a lot of that is due to people over soaping the area.
Red Green wrote:

Thank You.
Lou

I've found Glass Plus window cleaner works good.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Thanks
That's like asking how to get a tan car to start.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

"From experience please." You have experience??
LouB wrote:

Cut out a square around the spot. Replace and glue in a new piece of carpet. Take it out of a closet corner or under furniture if you don't have any remnants.

I've had excellent results with "Resolve" carpet cleaners. I used it when I once rented a carpet cleaning machine. It really cleans high traffic areas. They sell a variety of products, but I have never used the "granules". They/it has three five star reviews here.*
* http://www1.epinions.com/Resolve_High_Traffic_Granules/display_~reviews
Don't walk on the area when still damp as the padding will leach dirt back into the area. Make sure it is fully dried, before walking on it.
You may find Resolve in a grocery store, if the have rental machines.
Oren wrote:

Thank You.
Lou

Different procedure for different spots and different cleaners for different carpets is my personal experience. But I have yet to find a spot I can not remove, that is, if the spot is at all removable.
We can put this in the dictionary under "self fulfilling prophecy".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Or philosophy? Maybe the OP will find that removing the mystery spot made it a bigger spot.

What type of tan carpet? Berber? It makes a difference.
What type of spots? Paint? It makes a difference.
If you truly want your carpet clean then you must work at it. The first thing to do is put enough effort into it by posting the specifics of your problem. If you can't put forth that effort then you'll never put enough effort on the carpet to clean it anyway.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Uhh I guess you did not notice but quite a few nice folks gave helpful replies already, for which I thank all.
Lou

Uhh I guess you did not notice. I am being helpful.
I am trying to persuade you to help yourself by describing the details. If you can't do that then YOU are the one that is not being helpful.
You remind me of co-workers that spend more energy trying to get out of work rather than just going ahead and doing the work in the first place. In your case the work is describing the specifics with a few keystrokes. The energy expended to get out of work would be your multiple posts telling people they are not helpful.