Best way to get spots out of a carpet?

Best way to get spots out of a tan carpet?

From experience please.

TIA

Lou

Reply to
LouB

on 7/20/2009 11:57 AM (ET) LouB wrote the following:

What kind of spots? Wine, urine, oil, dirt, etc.? Most commercial carpet cleaners can get spots out, but if not, a professional carpet cleaning service may be required.

Reply to
willshak

I've used two products when my three daughter-units went through the toddler daze: Spot Shot and NYLAC Carpet Cleaner.

If you want an all-purpose spot cleaner, can affort the $5.49 / can then Spot Shot is the product for you. It excellent. The downside is the chemical smell that hangs as the product dries. (Huh; I just noticed it's a product produced by the WD-40 company.)

NYLAC was recommended by the carpet layer. It's my go-to when pets, kids, or grease get ground into the carpet. NYLAC cn be reached through their 1-800 # (1-800-33-NYLAC).

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

That's like asking how to get a tan car to start.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you really want to spot clean carpeting, you need a wet-dry vac. Use boiling water and/or your favorite soap, suck dry, then repeat with boiling water to rinse. I use one of those bissel cleanmachines and its luke warm water, but use boiling water when I have a tough spot.

The problem with the cleaners like "spot shot" is that they leave behind residues which will attract dirt. It'll look clean for a few weeks, but the spots will return.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Cut out a square around the spot. Replace and glue in a new piece of carpet. Take it out of a closet corner or under furniture if you don't have any remnants.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

"The Ranger" wrote in news:HP2dnSpbJt3eC_nXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.rawbandwidth:

I've found Glass Plus window cleaner works good.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"From experience please." You have experience??

Reply to
LouB

Thanks

Reply to
LouB

Thanks to both of you.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

I've had excellent results with "Resolve" carpet cleaners. I used it when I once rented a carpet cleaning machine. It really cleans high traffic areas. They sell a variety of products, but I have never used the "granules". They/it has three five star reviews here.*

    Don't walk on the area when still damp as the padding will leach dirt back into the area. Make sure it is fully dried, before walking on it.

You may find Resolve in a grocery store, if the have rental machines.

Reply to
Oren

Different procedure for different spots and different cleaners for different carpets is my personal experience. But I have yet to find a spot I can not remove, that is, if the spot is at all removable.

Reply to
Phisherman

We can put this in the dictionary under "self fulfilling prophecy".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank You.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

AZ Nomad wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ip70-176-155-130.ph.ph.cox.net:

I've had good luck with Spot Shot as well as a couple of friends have.

As far as the resides which attract dirt, I think the soapy/detergent types are the offenders of this. And I think a lot of that is due to people over soaping the area.

Reply to
Red Green

What type of tan carpet? Berber? It makes a difference.

What type of spots? Paint? It makes a difference.

If you truly want your carpet clean then you must work at it. The first thing to do is put enough effort into it by posting the specifics of your problem. If you can't put forth that effort then you'll never put enough effort on the carpet to clean it anyway.

Reply to
tnom

Uhh I guess you did not notice but quite a few nice folks gave helpful replies already, for which I thank all.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Thank You.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Dog Food? Something you have should help, mix laundry detergent in a spray bottle and get it real wet, scrub, and vac it up.

Reply to
ransley

It depends on the spot, but I've had good luck with mineral spirits (MS). I learned the trick from a carpet cleaner who kept a spray bottle of MS on his belt as he worked the wand. If a spot wouldn't come up with the detergent from the wand, he'd spray the spot with the MS, rub it a bit with the wand, then suck everything out with the wand.

I've also had good luck with Goof-Off for spots like paint. I saturate the spot, then suck everything out with a shop vacuum.

Be careful of making a spot that's much cleaner than everything else.

Reply to
SteveBell