Whenever we have an area of carpet that gets wet, my brother thinks
that the best way to dry it is to use a heat lamp. I think that
unless the relative humidity is extremely high, a fan would work
What do you think? Thank you in advance for all replies.
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"
I think what is the best to pull the carpet away from the floor. The
pad just soaks up a lot of the moisture and fosters fungus growth.
I would use a wet/dry vac to get as much water up and then perhaps
run a dehumidifier.
There's got to be someone in your area that does this. Ask them what
After an accident with a toilet that flooded a whole house I mixed up
about 20 gal of OXY CLEAN and pour it out over the carpet then called
the pros to have the water extracted. You would never know it ever
Both will have some effect. With the heat lamp, you raise
the capacity of the air to hold water. With the fan, you
provide a supply of drier air, to carry away the water
vapor. Fan is a lot cheaper. Heat lamp in a closed room just
makes a sauna, so you need the fan in addition.
Take two gopher guts, and call me in the morning. Meow!
I would consider a heat lamp to be a fire hazard and to pose a danger of
shrinking/warping/melting synthetic fiber carpet. Carpet backing is
often, I believe, natural fiber and subject to shrinkage.
Are you addressing shampooed carpet or disaster? When carpet is wet,
use a shop vac to remove as much water as possible.....for disaster,
where the padding is saturated, rent a heavy duty vac with squeegee
nozzle. Then run AC or heat to get air dry and run fans in room with
When we had a flooded carpet area, we opened windows and put a couple of
fans on. This was during the summer. Then we called a professional service
in to take care of it. The service said we should close the windows and
turn on the central air as low as it will go until they got there. After
they arrived, they used a wet vac to remove as much water as possible. Then
they set up high speed fans in the rooms, closed all the windows, and said
to keep the AC on and set to as low as possible. They said that the AC
dehumidifies the air and takes out moisture that the fans are creating while
blowing over the wet surface. And, by keeping the room cool, there is less
chance of mold growing
My thought would have been to turn up the heat to help things dry out, but
they said that is wrong, wrong, wrong.
Daniel Prince wrote:
Turning the furnace heat up instead of turning the air conditioner to
a low temperature would be wrong, but using a heat lamp is not wrong ,
The reason the air conditioner trick works is not because of the
temperature. It's because the side effect of an air conditioner is
to dehumidify the air.
I probably would have alternated the AC and the heat. I've done it
already when the house was the right temp but very humid, it's drys out
the air FAST! If you hadn't included the part about the cold slowing
the mold I probably wouldn't have believed that to be the best way.
Unfortunately I often need to know WHY not just HOW before I believe
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.