Best way to dry carpet

Whenever we have an area of carpet that gets wet, my brother thinks that the best way to dry it is to use a heat lamp. I think that unless the relative humidity is extremely high, a fan would work much better.
What do you think? Thank you in advance for all replies. -- Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY, REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"
Daniel,

I think what is the best to pull the carpet away from the floor. The pad just soaks up a lot of the moisture and fosters fungus growth.
I would use a wet/dry vac to get as much water up and then perhaps run a dehumidifier.
There's got to be someone in your area that does this. Ask them what they do.
MJ

After an accident with a toilet that flooded a whole house I mixed up about 20 gal of OXY CLEAN and pour it out over the carpet then called the pros to have the water extracted. You would never know it ever happened.
Jimmie

Try both ways, dump alot of gallons of water and see who is right, no point in guessing or argueing is there. Let us know what dries faster.
Both will have some effect. With the heat lamp, you raise the capacity of the air to hold water. With the fan, you provide a supply of drier air, to carry away the water vapor. Fan is a lot cheaper. Heat lamp in a closed room just makes a sauna, so you need the fan in addition.
Take two gopher guts, and call me in the morning. Meow!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Daniel Prince wrote:

I would consider a heat lamp to be a fire hazard and to pose a danger of shrinking/warping/melting synthetic fiber carpet. Carpet backing is often, I believe, natural fiber and subject to shrinkage.
Are you addressing shampooed carpet or disaster? When carpet is wet, use a shop vac to remove as much water as possible.....for disaster, where the padding is saturated, rent a heavy duty vac with squeegee nozzle. Then run AC or heat to get air dry and run fans in room with wet carpet.
On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 10:49:02 -0700, Daniel Prince

Using both fan and lamp will dry the carpet faster. But, the best way is the safer way minus the heat lamp.
When we had a flooded carpet area, we opened windows and put a couple of fans on. This was during the summer. Then we called a professional service in to take care of it. The service said we should close the windows and turn on the central air as low as it will go until they got there. After they arrived, they used a wet vac to remove as much water as possible. Then they set up high speed fans in the rooms, closed all the windows, and said to keep the AC on and set to as low as possible. They said that the AC dehumidifies the air and takes out moisture that the fans are creating while blowing over the wet surface. And, by keeping the room cool, there is less chance of mold growing
My thought would have been to turn up the heat to help things dry out, but they said that is wrong, wrong, wrong.
Daniel Prince wrote:

Turning the furnace heat up instead of turning the air conditioner to a low temperature would be wrong, but using a heat lamp is not wrong , wrong, wrong.
The reason the air conditioner trick works is not because of the temperature. It's because the side effect of an air conditioner is to dehumidify the air.

Besides the AC, you should use a regular dehumidifier. If you don't have one, borrow or rent one. That'll pull more moisture out than the AC. Using heat will cause the carpet to mildew.
Beta-B4- wrote:

I probably would have alternated the AC and the heat. I've done it already when the house was the right temp but very humid, it's drys out the air FAST! If you hadn't included the part about the cold slowing the mold I probably wouldn't have believed that to be the best way. Unfortunately I often need to know WHY not just HOW before I believe something.