Best way to care for an old original hardwood floor?

Hey folks, I'm looking for some general advice on caring for an older hardwood floor. Our house is a 1947 cottage with all the original oak hardwoods in nice shape. The previous owners informed us that all they used was regular wood floor cleaner on it and periodically applied Boiled Linseed Oil. We are very impressed with the appearance of the floors so

we figured we'd continue to do the same general thing. However, I want to be sure we're not overlooking a better option.

My questions are:

1) What cleaners would be best for a floor that has been oiled? Based on the bottles left by previous owners, they were using basic pledge woodfloor cleaner. My main concern is that most of these general cleaners state that they should not be used on "uncoated" or "unsealed"

wood. Our floors have not been sealed with poly or anything (which is why the oil soaks right in).

2) How often should we apply the Boiled Linseed Oil? 3) Is there another option for polishing/protecting these floors that someone would recommend besides Boiled Linseed Oil which would work on floors that were previously oiled?

Thanks for your help!

Sidenote: We have done one room so far - cleaned with Murphy Oil Soap and applied the Boiled Linseed Oil - and had great results.

Reply to
stratford1

all about your floor except how to change the finish at:

buffalobill