Best way to add an outlet to a yard lamp?

We have a yard lamp on a post in the front yard. The wife likes (me) to put a string in lights around the pole every Christmas. Several years ago, just as a quick and dirty solution, I cut the male plug and about 6-8" of wire from a string of lights. I then put one of those adapters that screw into a lamp socket and provide a couple of outlets:
http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_1403.htm?sid ABBDA459CDF6C8F2A42136F3CDAE8F
I then thread the loose ends of the plug I cut off the string through the small drain holes in the bottom of the lamp housing and reattach them to the light string with electrical caps.
This has worked for several years, but it's not ideal. I think I'd like to add a permanent outlet to that lamp post. I'd appreciate suggestions as to the best way to do it.
Here are the solutions I came up with:
1. Do just what I am doing, but use a short (6-8") extension cord with molded plugs on each end, rather than bare wires. This is the simplest solution, but it requires drilling a much larger hole in the lamp housing base. It also means that either I leave the adapter in the socket year round with the extension cord plugged in and dangling out the bottom, which is mildly unsightly, or I have to take the housing apart every year, which is no big deal.
2. Install a permanent outlet on the pole. I would have to take the pole apart and make a splice, then find a receptable that I would mount in a hole cut into the pole. This is a nicer solution, but a lot more work. It would probably be best to put the outlet at the base of the pole, but the pole is in the middle of a round brick planter and I bet the base is 12-18" down. I don't think I'll be allowed to dig it up.
So, unless someone can suggest another solution, I'll probably go with the short extension cord and take the housing apart every year.

http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_1403.htm?sid ABBDA459CDF6C8F2A42136F3CDAE8F
There is a thing made, although I can't find it online. It's a short section of typical 3" post, made to fit between the existing post and the existing fixture. It has a built in GFCI outlet or at least a place to install one. The other alternative is to use an "FS" box, also known as "Bell Box". Using a hole saw, cut a 7/8 hole near the base of the post, snake a short piece of cable up the post to where the splice is. Mount the FS box over the hole attaching the cable to a connector through the back knockout. Screw the box to the pole using self-drilling screws, and install a GFCI outlet with "in use" cover
RBM wrote:

pole, you can scuff, degrease, and spray paint it before you install it.
-- aem sends...
RBM wrote:

Or install a weatherproof box on a pipe adjacent to the pole, wire it using direct burial wiring. The GFCI outlet (if the circuit is not already protected by one) and the weatherproof cover are a requirement. If in doubt, hire someone to do this for you, or at least buy and read a good book on the topic. Electrical work is not for the inexperienced, particularly the outdoor stuff. I'm still finding and gradually correcting hack job work that was done when the original owner finished the basement of my house, it's amazing the place never burned down. Backwire terminals, wires cut way too short, switches on the neutrals, cheap junky receptacles that fall apart. I lost count of the number of times I pulled one out of the box and wires pulled right out the back of it.