Best washer under $600?

Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than $600 are? We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm thinking it's time to replace it.

Thanks.

I would google for info.

Reply to
LouB

A stream and a rock.

Reply to
Stepfann King

You want? You got it! Right here.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Ha! Good one. Unfortunately, they don't have an electric model...

Maybe I should broaden my question by asking whether one brand has a more reliable record in terms of requiring repairs.

Thanks.

Whatever modle made by Whirlpool that is in your price range. That is all I have bought. Had one for a number of years, moved about 4 years ago and bought a new one.

Maytag used to be good a number of years ago,but got cheapened up. Not so good any more. They may have improved in the last year or so as I think Whirlpool bought them out.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

None are made like they used to be, a commercial unit will last longest, we had one last maybe 30- 35 years.

Reply to
ransley

You're posting via that ghastly Google interface instead of using a real newsreader, so I can't easily tell your location.

But here's an example of what you can find on Craigslist for substantially under $600.

"We are giving away our old washer and dryer. They are in good working order, look great, see the picture below. We have bought a new washer and dryer, and don't have time for a garage sale. We need them gone by Thursday evening. Be the first person that comes by. It's a bargain, FREE. "

With pic

HeyBub

Frank

I have a 12 year old Amana, and I've never had to have it repaired...yet.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Oh, what a ghastly Google interface!

My personal washing machine is ancient Whirlpool. Before you ashcan that Kenmore, please try to find a couple small town appliance repair shops to come take a look at it. Never know. Might be a simple part.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or remove the agitator and look for socks or female undies.

Reply to
Oren

Speed Queen top loader. They're still made in the U.S.A., and nothing else comes close in terms of build quality, performance or warranty.

You might have to shop to find a new one under $600 (or even to find one period, considering Alliance's lack of marketing), but the effort is well worth it.

<nospam

Whirlpool....I have Whirlpool washer/dryer , fridge , stove and DW....Very happy with them....

Reply to
benick

Go down to your library and read Consumer Reports. Their repair frequency charts are based on several thousand user replies, not a half dozen or so as in this NG. You&#39;ll probably end up with some model of Whirlpool or Kenmore.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Good advice except that their reports are based upon hundreds of thousands of replies.

Reply to
LouB

Long story short: Consumer Reports sucks, and this thread is a perfect example of why they suck.

Speed Queen washers are never included in Consumer Reports reviews, only because Speed Queen doesn&#39;t maintain "enough" share of the washer market. That doesn&#39;t mean Speed Queen washers aren&#39;t superior (they most definitely are), it just means CR misinforms and misleads people by their myopic claims and conclusions.

Compare SQ&#39;s warranty to Whirlpool&#39;s and you&#39;ll understand.

Reply to
<nospam

Perhaps you didn&#39;t see the thread topic ?? Here it is for ya...Best washer under 600 bucks....Which is a Whirlpool....Perhaps if he was opening a laundrymat or had rental units with a laundry he would go SQ.....There is a reason you don&#39;t see them in homes...PRICE.........

Reply to
benick

I did a quick search and the lowest was $ 629 and another for $680. The others were $ 1400 and up. YOu can get 2 or 3 Whirlpool washers for the price of the beter SQ machines.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Thanks for the suggestions and insights.

The Speed Queen idea is kind of nostalgic, though the price is probably prohibitive. My uncle used to have a string of laundromats along with a commercial laundry and all he had were Speed Queens, in the laundromats anyway. I didn&#39;t even know they made them anymore.

Thanks again.