Best washer under $600?

Page 1 of 2

Any opinions about what the best top loading washers for less than $600 are? We have a 15 year old Kenmore that's had a few repairs over the last few years and now the agitator has stopped working, so I'm thinking it's time to replace it.
Thanks.
k wrote:

A stream and a rock.

You want? You got it! Right here. http://www.columbuswashboard.com /
Charlie

Ha! Good one. Unfortunately, they don't have an electric model...
Maybe I should broaden my question by asking whether one brand has a more reliable record in terms of requiring repairs.
Thanks.
Thanks for the suggestions and insights.
The Speed Queen idea is kind of nostalgic, though the price is probably prohibitive. My uncle used to have a string of laundromats along with a commercial laundry and all he had were Speed Queens, in the laundromats anyway. I didn't even know they made them anymore.
Thanks again.

We got a top of the line Speed Queen top loader last year and paid $599 + tax. It was a local appliance store and we picked it up, so there was no delivery charge.
As I said you might need to check around to find these washers. It's one of the few vestiges of good 'ol American build quality left in the major appliance industry. Whirlpools are absolute junk, and they make all Kenmore models too.

Where did you find a 'top of the line' SQ for $ 599. The web page I looked at showed that price to be the low end modle and most were well over $ 1000 More like $ 1500 for the top line modles.

removed....LOL....Whirlpool / Kenmore appliances are fine...I know plenty of people with them...If I was gonna shell out the big bucks I'd get one of those fancy front loaders....

Our local appliance dealer had SQ's AWS76 (top of the line SQ top loader, but last year's model) at the price I mentioned.
I keep saying you have to search, not online, but CALL around to local appliance stores. The next lowest price we found was at AJ Madison (online), and they were MUCH higher.
Whatever modle made by Whirlpool that is in your price range. That is all I have bought. Had one for a number of years, moved about 4 years ago and bought a new one.
Maytag used to be good a number of years ago,but got cheapened up. Not so good any more. They may have improved in the last year or so as I think Whirlpool bought them out.

I have a 12 year old Amana, and I've never had to have it repaired...yet.
Cheri

None are made like they used to be, a commercial unit will last longest, we had one last maybe 30- 35 years.
ransley wrote:

A commercial Speed Queen (which I have both at home, and in a rental unit) will last the longest, but these now cost more than $600 new. I think they are now around $800--without the coin slide. It will probably last 50 years in occasional use, plus it's very easy to repair (at least the 1963 model that I bought used and that lasted until about 2000, was easy to repair). Had it not spend the first 22 years of its operation in a laundromat, it would likely still be in use today.
k wrote:

You're posting via that ghastly Google interface instead of using a real newsreader, so I can't easily tell your location.
But here's an example of what you can find on Craigslist for substantially under $600.
"We are giving away our old washer and dryer. They are in good working order, look great, see the picture below. We have bought a new washer and dryer, and don't have time for a garage sale. We need them gone by Thursday evening. Be the first person that comes by. It's a bargain, FREE. "
With pic http://houston.craigslist.org/zip/1336419964.html
k wrote:

http://www.americanmodeleng.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/washer.01.jpg
Oh, what a ghastly Google interface!
My personal washing machine is ancient Whirlpool. Before you ashcan that Kenmore, please try to find a couple small town appliance repair shops to come take a look at it. Never know. Might be a simple part.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Or remove the agitator and look for socks or female undies.

Speed Queen top loader. They're still made in the U.S.A., and nothing else comes close in terms of build quality, performance or warranty.
You might have to shop to find a new one under $600 (or even to find one period, considering Alliance's lack of marketing), but the effort is well worth it.
http://www.speedqueen.com/home/products /

Whirlpool....I have Whirlpool washer/dryer , fridge , stove and DW....Very happy with them....