Best vacuum cleaner (one that doesnt have plastic agitator housing)? Dc17 dyson worth it?

Page 2 of 2

I had a Dyson and loved it. I had the pet model and it really picked up and was easy to use. Then I had the knock at the door and a Kirby salesman showed up - the Kirby is better. Once you purchase one you won't have to buy a new vacuum, because you can get the motor redone at a much lower cost. The vacuum on it is much more than anything else.
--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

If you want a good vacuum that lasts, plastic in any form is *not* the way to go. Kirby, Filter Queen, Rainbow, Electrolux, etc., are extremely well constructed and do a good job. They are all also expensive, but cost per year will probably be ultimately cheaper than buying a series of plastic crap. I know of several Kirbys that are still in regular use after 40-50 years.
Having said that, a good friend bought a Dyson "ball" vacuum designed for good pet hair removal. She swears by it and can't believe how much pet hair along with other soil it removes. Even though much of it *is* plastic, when I looked it over the construction seemed solid.
FWIW

✖
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 04:13:44 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

When I was shopping for a vacuum, I went to a vacuum repair shop and asked the repairguy what brands are the most/lest problematic. He said he gets a LOT of Hoover vacuums, poorly made, top seller. I got a Panasonic per his recommendation and it is still going strong after 20 years and one belt replacement. It vacuums a 2700 square foot carpeted house, including the staircase, twice a week. The agitator housing is plastic, built like a tank. The vintage vacuums had metal housings, but no more unless you got lots of $$$. Plastics are light weight and sometimes that's a good thing.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu 21 Jan 2010 07:40:27a, Phisherman told us...

Manufacturers have been using plastics in vacuums for decades. Some are really quite good, many are not.Yes, the few companies who still produce vacuums constructed primarily with metal are quite pricey, not to mention heavy.

✖
On Jan 19, 11:13 pm, Wayne Boatwright

I've actually been leaning towards the DC18 Dyson (a refurb model).. i've heard good things in general on these, even the refurbs.. the dc17 was reported as having some issues with cutting up tile, despite the brushes being turned off on a few rare cases.. but nothing like that with the dc18.. dc18 only has like a 0.45 gallon container (vs 0.66 in the dc17), but its 8 lbs lighter for stairs. The animal model appears to simply have the mini turbine attachment, which can be found on ecost for about $40.. The dc18 refurbs are about $180+ shipping.. so i think in a few weeks i may give one a shot.
Thanks for all the advice, i've made lots of notes for future use too.
Add pictures here
✖