Best vacuum cleaner (one that doesnt have plastic agitator housing)? Dc17 dyson worth it?

On Sat 16 Jan 2010 09:11:53p, markm75 told us...

If you want a good vacuum that lasts, plastic in any form is *not* the way to go. Kirby, Filter Queen, Rainbow, Electrolux, etc., are extremely well constructed and do a good job. They are all also expensive, but cost per year will probably be ultimately cheaper than buying a series of plastic crap. I know of several Kirbys that are still in regular use after 40-50 years.

Having said that, a good friend bought a Dyson "ball" vacuum designed for good pet hair removal. She swears by it and can't believe how much pet hair along with other soil it removes. Even though much of it *is* plastic, when I looked it over the construction seemed solid.

FWIW

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

When I was shopping for a vacuum, I went to a vacuum repair shop and asked the repairguy what brands are the most/lest problematic. He said he gets a LOT of Hoover vacuums, poorly made, top seller. I got a Panasonic per his recommendation and it is still going strong after

20 years and one belt replacement. It vacuums a 2700 square foot carpeted house, including the staircase, twice a week. The agitator housing is plastic, built like a tank. The vintage vacuums had metal housings, but no more unless you got lots of $$$. Plastics are light weight and sometimes that's a good thing.
Reply to
Phisherman

I've actually been leaning towards the DC18 Dyson (a refurb model).. i've heard good things in general on these, even the refurbs.. the dc17 was reported as having some issues with cutting up tile, despite the brushes being turned off on a few rare cases.. but nothing like that with the dc18.. dc18 only has like a 0.45 gallon container (vs

0.66 in the dc17), but its 8 lbs lighter for stairs. The animal model appears to simply have the mini turbine attachment, which can be found on ecost for about $40.. The dc18 refurbs are about $180+ shipping.. so i think in a few weeks i may give one a shot.

Thanks for all the advice, i've made lots of notes for future use too.

Reply to
markm75

re: "the whole basis for their business is about on par with Extenze, Enzyte, and all the other scams"

May I suggest that we don't use the terms "Extenze", "Enzyte" and "vacuum cleaners" in the same thread?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On Thu 21 Jan 2010 07:40:27a, Phisherman told us...

Manufacturers have been using plastics in vacuums for decades. Some are really quite good, many are not.Yes, the few companies who still produce vacuums constructed primarily with metal are quite pricey, not to mention heavy.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright