Best suction in home vacuum cleaner?

What's the best vacuum cleaner for home use? Is there one that is known for having better/more powerful suction than others? On another thread here, I see that there is a question about shop vacs. Am I correct in assuming that the advantage of a shop vac would be that it just picks up larger particles, but that it wouldn't necessarily have better suction for fine particles? Thanks for any advice.
The other aspect of the problem, is how is that suction delivered and how much of the dirt does the vacuum deliver back into the room?
Traditional vacs pull their air through a bag which gets clogged quickly thereby significantly reducing suction. They also send a LOT of dust back into the room since the exhaust air is only filtered by the bag.
Cyclone vacs with Hepa filters solve some of these problems. By locating them in the garage (central vac), the exhausting of dust back into the house is solved completely.
John

I have a large CV system with a bag. Suction is tremendous even when the bag is ready to change. Consumer Reports still things there is little point to bagless portable vacs and I think the same may be true for CV vacs despite some manufacturers claims.

Chemqueries wrote:

As someone else has already said, if you want the best, get a central system.
I like the Shark. It's a mini, but does it ever suck! They should have called it the Remora. Cute design, weighs maybe 3 lbs, easy to handle, attachments for remote spots. zemedelec
Easily. I have tried them all. Look at Miele!!

One thing I've noticed about European agitators is that the bristles are not long or stiff enuf. I have an expensive agitator from Europe similar to Miele's and although it is made very well, a cheaper Hoover Windtunnel widepath does a better job on my carpets with my CV system. The difference is obvious.

my upright hoover
--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

to avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.
rosie read and post wrote:

Get a Lovelace DT. Deepest suction in the business.

borders on dangerous (seriously). ==
(Chemqueries) wrote: --> What's the best vacuum cleaner for home use? Is there one that is known for --> having better/more powerful suction than others? The models from Sharp and from Riccar have measured quite high in suction tests. They're more expensive than models sold at the box stores, and less than some of the boutique brands. They are both substantially more powerful than my Rainbow. Note that vaccum performance seems to be based on a combination of both suction and airflow; I *think* one can make an analogy to amperage and voltage in electricity which together result in wattage. If not, someone can perhaps correct me.
Art
Art

While both are important, but other factors come into play. The agitator brush, adaptation to different carpet pile, ability to clean at the edge make a difference. I don't know how to quantify the differences that would be meaningful to your house. Ed
"Chemqueries" wrote

They all suck! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

No they don't! They reduce atmospheric pressure.
Once you go with central vac, You'll never go back.
I suggest a central vac system. I would never go back the old plug in things.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math