Best storm door

Who manufactures the best storm door? Around here (PA) Larson is pushed.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Home Depot sells Larson Lowe's sells Pella Some independents sell Harvey
If you go with the better models, I'd rate them all equally good.
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Thanks all! Blowes sells both Pella & Larson. The store person said the Pellas are made by Larson...
The better Larsons look attractive because the screen can be pulled from th e "cassette" by the top window. It will also retract when the glass is pushed up. My wife can't deal with switching a hunk o' glass in & out. Not tall enough to reach the top of the door for latches, etc.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

Tekkie® wrote:

Near our home Home Depot and Lowes are facing each other across a road. Often we go to HD and cross the road to Lowes to see if there is any difference in price on a identical item. Most often Lowes price is higher and their service is lesser friendly than HD. Last week we got a pull out screen door kit for our back sun room. Lowers price was 20% higher and did not even had one in stock. How are they in your neighborhood?
On 7/21/2015 7:19 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Lowes is 7 miles from me. Home Depot is 18 miles. I tend to go to Lowes more often. Prices are about the same. Both have reasonably helpful people to assist if needed.
Tony Hwang posted for all of us...

ed.

m the

shed

od?
I didn't go to Homies because Larson told they didn't sell them. Blowes is much closer. I don't go to either that much so can't judge the minions. It ALL depends on management.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On Thursday, July 23, 2015 at 4:16:30 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:

shed.

he

rom the

pushed

all

hood?

You are aware that the big boxes aren't the only place to buy a storm door, right?
I bought all of my windows, exterior doors and storm door at a local Norand ex-Reynolds supply house. In each case, I did the math and I estimate that for the same cost I would have paid at the big boxes I moved up at least on e level in quality. For example, I got the features of the first level of a big box "special order" steel garage entry door for less than the price of their stock door.
You can't buy a ProVia door at a big box store, so you may be limiting your options by not going "outside of the box" - pun intended. I'm not saying you should spend the big bucks on a ProVia, just that there are more (and b etter) manufacturers of doors than what the big boxes carry.
what features do you want??
my storm door has a adjustable window, useful so i can keep the glass high enough so the dogs cant get out.
our porch is small, so my dooor has a screen that can be completely removed , so the trick or treaters can come to the door with the screen comletely o ut, the glass high enough so the dogs cantget over it, and i can hand out t he candy, something i really enjoy:)
premium seals around the door and a nice strong handle help with long life.
dont buy a cheap front door, since it gets used every day...........
On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 7:56:08 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

h enough so the dogs cant get out.

ed, so the trick or treaters can come to the door with the screen comletely out, the glass high enough so the dogs cantget over it, and i can hand out the candy, something i really enjoy:)
My ProVia door is kind of like a double hung window. 2 panes, both of which open and both of which have an attached spring loaded screen. Pull the bot tom pane up and the top pane down and you get screen-protected high/low air circulation. Of course, we too have dogs, so the bottom pane rarely gets o pened.
With the attached screen, we can use it as a screen door on cool days when we want fresh air, but as a storm door in the cold or hot when using the A/ C. No more swapping of storm window/screen with the change of seasons and a little more protection from the elements when desired.
When we went shopping for a new storm door, the ability to remove the scree n was a feature that was high on our list for the very reason you mention: Halloween. On the ProVia door the top screen attaches to the upper sliding window with the plastic Poly-Lock/3M Dual Lock type mounting strips (much stronger than standard hook & loop fasteners) . The screen can be detached and rolled up, leaving an open window to scare the kids...err...umm...I mea n, hand the candy through.

e.