Best solder free electrical connection

Page 10 of 13

On 8/22/2010 7:15 PM, Tony Bryer wrote:

Yes I read fine I interpret differently from you!...
The 747 has nothing to do with supersonic air travel its a completely different class of aircraft.
We \were\ talking about Supersonic airliners....
--
Tony Sayer

You need to take a remedial reading course.

May I suggest you take the narrow bandwidth blinkers off;?...
--
Tony Sayer

You really do need a remedial reading course. ...or a brain.

Insult, if it makes you feel better or in someway superior;!...
--
Tony Sayer

No insult; fact.

He is probably thinking about the blackbird which the USoA had to use to get the speed record back (some sort of ego trip I expect). Even then it had to be refuelled multiple times to actually beat Concorde on a normal flight.
I wonder if he even knows the Americans couldn't even break the sound barrier until they stole the flying tail idea from the UK designers?
Come to think of it a lot of USoA technology was borrowed from others (light bulbs, telephones, computers, WWW, space flight, etc.).

Nuclear scientists 'n all....
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

Look at all the stuff America crows about.
The steam engine, Invented here. Steel. Invented here. Electronic Computers. Invented here. Radar, especially the magnetron, invented here. The jet engine, invented here and in Germany almost simultaneously. The all moving tailplane for supersonic flight, invented here. Motherhood, invented in Africa Apple Pie, invented here. God, invented in the Middle East, Reinvented in Rome.. Democracy, Invented in Greece (and much good it did them) The Mafia, invented in Sicily (and much good it did them) Americans are pretty carp at inventing anything: Mostly its a ripoff of someone else's idea made successful through selling in vast quantities to a gullible nation.
I think they maty be credited with fast food, and obesity, and the coca cola however. And spurious tailfins on cars. And drag racing. But really that's about it.
Oh, the Blues, I guess the black slaves invented that, and jazz,
Says it all really.
Really the only significant US contributions of any value to modern life have been the semiconductor, the integrated circuit, and the high level programming language, courtesy of COBOL.
Though even there high level languages go back a bit further. To Europe.
What the USA is superb at is business. Taking something from someone else, and pretending they thought of it first, and selling it in vast quantities backed by a flood of syrupy marketing that pretends its is factual.
They are without doubt, the greatest LIARS the world has ever known.
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 02:08:01 +0100, Michael A. Terrell

No, Concorde wasn't fuel efficient though neither are Porsche, Ferrari and so on motorcars. Come to think of it, neither are those enormous engined gas guzzling motors most US citizens used to prefer.
Who was to know in the sixties that oil was going to rise to the price it is today?

back pretty close to what they were in the 60s when adjusted for inflation? Might even be a little below.
and name it after the IRS.

Not in Blighty they're not - no way near.

Well, there you have it. You killed the Concorde yourselves.

Not in Canada either. In 1969 a gallon of gas sold for about $0.45 and a reasonably paid worker (like a licenced mechanic) earned $4.50 per hour. Convert that to Metric and gasoline was about $0.10 a liter. Today gasoline hovers around the buck a liter range, and not too many workers earn $22.50 an hour - which would make gasoline virtually twice as expensive in real dollars as it was in 1969.
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 15:25:29 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

In the US it's close. The inflation since '69 is 5.79X. I remember paying about $.30/gallon during a price war and about $.36 normally. So that's $1.74 to $2.08 today. Gasoline is $2.41/gallon here, so yes a little more.
http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi
also:
http://zfacts.com/p/35.html

OTOH, I'm making well over 25x what I was making in 1970 (I made nothing in '69).
The difference is easily explained by tax.
> wrote:

The guys who wrote 'Limits to Growth' and were totally ignored?
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/3551
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Limits_to_Growth

Because perhaps the boot of the government isn't quite as heavy on this side of the pond, yet. Perhaps because this is a *big* place and cars are used to transport more than a couple of people a few km.

It didn't. Your taxes did.

There is no tax on aviation fuel, its some silly international agreement.
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:25:24 +0100, "dennis@home"

Sans taxes, fuel is almost the same price now as it was in the '60s. Look it up, instead of looking like the dumbass you are.