Best solder free electrical connection

Page 1 of 13
I have to connect this AAA battery holder to a toy. Although I have a small soldering iron, my soldering skills are poor. I can see myself easily melting all the plastic around the contacts before I can get anything to stick to the tabs. (The part of the tabs with the small hole will bend upwards giving some clearence).
http://tinypic.com/r/iqx3pf/4
My immediate plan is to poke a few strands of wire through the holes in the connection tabs twist and then apply some nail varnish to stop it unwinding. Since its a toy it does not need to be totally foolproof.
If anyone had any ideas that were a bit more sophisticated I would be gratefull. Thanks.
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:43:08 +0100, john hamilton wrote:

To add to the other suggestions about soldering: if you can get/borrow a temperature controlled iron, run it at a lower temperature and use 63/37 solder.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

I notice that nobody has raised the point for the OP that his problem of previous soldering is that he is possibly using too powerful a soldering iron - one with too big a bit. This is the most likely cause of his problem with melting the support for the tag he is soldering to. Haven't we all done it - and even with a temperature controlled one and 50 years of experience I softened the mount for the centre pin of a connector yesterday, and had to go back and apply heat to straighten it.
John - I've had a quick scan through Ebay and suggest that #370414838261 is a good buy (ie I've got one!) for a controlled iron if you feel that the advise to try,try,try again is worth following.
Rob
robgraham wrote:

Try lead based solder 60/40 has a lower melting point
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 20:48:45 +0000, steve robinson wrote:

And 63/37 even lower.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
I was thinking to enlarge the holes in the tabs, and use pop rivets. Sadly, the battery holder pictured won't take .250 push on connectors, I don't think. The metal is chromed, so solder won't stick very well, it's also likely steel. There is no really good way to make the connection.
Wire through the hole, twist the wire, and solder the wire to itself is about the best answer I can find.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

File off the chrome.

Let me quote from the instructions of the hot air / soldering station I just purchased
"Temperature of the soldering tip
High temperature will decrease the function of the soldering tip. So the temperature should be set to the lowest. This soldering tip has good quality for recovery and can solder at low temperature. This can protect the component sensitive with temperature
Cleaning
The tip should be cleaned with sponge periodically. After soldering the oxidised and carbonated superabundant soldering material will damage the tip. Deviation of soldering and deduction of function of the soldering tip will occur. The soldering tip must be dismantled for cleaning every week so the soldering tip can keep the function
After welding,clean the superabundant soldering material"
so now you know ...
--
geoff

I would like some superabundant soldering material, please.
--
David TAylor

you're FEEDING THE TROLL. stop that.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Technical Chinglish at it's best.

No - just file or otherwise (emery cloth) remove the plating back down to the base copper underneath just before soldering
Simples
FFS - it's a cheap plastic moulding with tags on it
you lot are turning this into a major project
--
geoff

Excuse me, but is the OP a Septic or English ?
If he/she/it is English, it's bugger all use pointing them at Septic outlets, is it?
--
geoff

On 8/18/2010 4:17 PM, geoff wrote:

I'm sorry, I have absolutely no idea what you are writing about. Could you find someone to translate it into American?
TDD
On 18/08/2010 23:20, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I'm English and I haven't a clue what they are on about either. :-)
Dave
On 8/18/2010 5:34 PM, Dave wrote:

Howdy cousin! 8-)
TDD
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 17:20:26 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Cockney rhyming slang - septic tank = yank.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes

Hardly cockney, universal ex-pat speak
or would one prefer ...
merkin
and if you don't know what a merkin is, look it up
--
geoff

Septic tank = yank
duh - colonials