Best sealer for decks?

What's the best sealer for cedar and redwood decks?

Thanks

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Olympic products hold up possibly the longest

Reply to
m Ransley

I use Cabot's solid color decking stain. It is mildew resistant, easy to clean, and long lasting. Just pick the color you want. The clear sealers without pigment tend to be short lived. Avoid Thompsons.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

I help at a vacation resort with 175 units. Cabot's with pigment by far out last Thompson's. We did 15 decks with Cabot's, ?Thompson's, and a Lowes product call "UV". These deck were in the shade and full sun. Cabot's won hands down.

Reply to
Evon

Anyone had any experience with Cabot's new product for deck's called SPF?

Joe

Reply to
Joe and Maria

Another vote for Cabot.

Semitrans have teflon in them.... Good for baking under the sun lights :)

Olympic just feels too watery imho.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Consumer Reports long term test has olympic lasting longest. it is worth reading.

Reply to
m Ransley

Which report are you referring to?

In the July 2004 CR, Cabot blew Olympic out of the water in all 3 categories.. Among those "still being tested", Olympic Solid Color rated last of five still being tested. Among those for which testing ended due to early deterioration, Olympic Water Repellent 53106 was discarded , as it looked bad after two years. For those "whose appearance held up", Olympic Water Guard 57560 rated fifth of nine that made the grade, and testing was continued. In ranked order, brands are Cabot, Cabot, Wolman, Akzo Nobel Sikkens, followed by Olympic. As important as brand was type of treatment, as some types of a single brand rated all over the charts, such as Olympic. So be sure to get the best rated type, within brand name.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

"Oscar_Lives" wrote

It depends on the size of your deck. Do you have a little deck, that may be a bit embarrassing? Or do you have a large deck that you like to show off? If you've neglected your deck, make sure you check for deck rot. Treat your deck with respect, after all, it was put there with the intentions of being attached for life.

Reply to
M. Crew

============================ Somehow I am not surprised CR rated Olympic as the longest lasting Sealer...Just another of their Product evaluations that differs from my own experience ..

Major Reason I have not read a CR issue in a long long time..

Just my opinion

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

I used to work at a Porter Paint store and I highly recommend their Porter Deck sealer. It's very similar to Super Deck, if anybody's heard of that. But I've heard numerous accounts of it lasting 5 or 6 years without a recoat. Thompsons Water Seal is made up of only wax. You can compare it to waxing your car and how long that will last. Just my two cents.

Pat

Reply to
PatK